Logitech - No OS X support?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was just looking on Logitech's website, at their high-end keyboards and mice, and I was surpised to see they do not support OS X? How long has this been going on? I thought Logitech was a big supporter of Apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    First of all, standard USB peripherals work as standard USB peripherals, meaning, they don't need any kind of support to work. A lot of the time I prefer not to install any drivers. It's one more thing that can go wrong.

For high sensitivity mice (1600dpi and over) you will want to check if the mouse has Mac drivers or manual driverless adjustment. I hear these mice need setting up to be comfortable.

If you are okay with a wireless keyboard/mouse bundle that does uses standard (non rechargable) batteries, Logitech has the Cordless Desktop S 530 has good looks and a reasonable layout. In a quick store test the feel of the keyboard was poor, IMO.

Anyway, you are right in that Logitech has developed an extremely poor attitude towards compatibility and standards. For instance:

http://www.it-enquirer.com/main/ite/...gitech_dinovo/

Logitech' high end productivity mice, AFAIK, have always had OS X support. Certainly the current Revolution does.

I have had only Logitech mice myself (about 5 different models, currently MX310), and have liked them a lot, but I'm going to Razer Pro|Click 1.6 for my next mouse. I don't like the direction Logitech is going. Razer seems to stick to basics and doing them well. Other Razers are not Mac supported, I think. Pro|Click is also the only one that doesn't scream "gamer" by its looks.

For the keyboard I don't imagine moving off Happy Hacking Lite2 anytime soon. If I had the kind of cash for a keyboard to get a Logitech high end model, I wouldn't even look their way but get the Kinesis Advantage instead.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon

First of all, standard USB peripherals work as standard USB peripherals, meaning, they don't need any kind of support to work. A lot of the time I prefer not to install any drivers. It's one more thing that can go wrong.

For high sensitivity mice (1600dpi and over) you will want to check if the mouse has Mac drivers or manual driverless adjustment. I hear these mice need setting up to be comfortable.

If you are okay with a wireless keyboard/mouse bundle that does uses standard (non rechargable) batteries, Logitech has the Cordless Desktop S 530 has good looks and a reasonable layout. In a quick store test the feel of the keyboard was poor, IMO.

Anyway, you are right in that Logitech has developed an extremely poor attitude towards compatibility and standards. For instance:

http://www.it-enquirer.com/main/ite/...gitech_dinovo/

Logitech' high end productivity mice, AFAIK, have always had OS X support. Certainly the current Revolution does.

I have had only Logitech mice myself (about 5 different models, currently MX310), and have liked them a lot, but I'm going to Razer Pro|Click 1.6 for my next mouse. I don't like the direction Logitech is going. Razer seems to stick to basics and doing them well. Other Razers are not Mac supported, I think. Pro|Click is also the only one that doesn't scream "gamer" by its looks.

For the keyboard I don't imagine moving off Happy Hacking Lite2 anytime soon. If I had the kind of cash for a keyboard to get a Logitech high end model, I wouldn't even look their way but get the Kinesis Advantage instead.

Thank you for the very informative response. I am going to checkout the Razor and the Happy Hacking Lite2. The Kinesis Advantage may be a bit too much for me. Not a very good typist.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    These are, of course, strongly subjective things.

I agree that the Kinesis is a specialty product. It would certainly be the wrong choice for e.g. playing most games, so even if I ended up getting it I would need a second keyboard. What's awesome about the Advantage is multiple thumb buttons. The fingers in touch typing position can comfortably cover the letters, the numbers, and about three extra buttons on each side. The problem is, there are more buttons than that. Modifier keys, 4x2=8 (you want these symmetrically). Enter, BS, Esc, Tab. The thumb buttons are just enough in number to cover all these functions, and your pinkies won't get RSI.

There's probably just one thing that would get me off my ass and buy a new peripheral immediately: a Happy Hacking keyboard with dedicated row of function keys. Now you have to use fn+number. The key features in all HH models are ctrl-esc-backspace placement and overall width of the keyboard.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    They make a mac keyboard mouse combo, specifically for mac.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I have a Logitech camera for communicating with my daughter in college. Only problem is that at least in the case of their cameras, they aren't supported on Mac----We just throw it on the PC and use that to communicate with her.