Advice on Mice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just got a new C2D MBP. I prefer a mouse to the trackpad. Would like to get a bluetooth mouse so as to not tie up a USB port with a wireless USB mouse. Saw options at Apple store but most came with mixed reviews. Wondering what others use and how it's working out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I don't like wireless devices much. I find the mice to be too heavy and having to replace batteries is a pain. Getting a rechargeable mouse with a dock should sort the battery issue though.

I don't like Apple's mice either and I usually go for Microsoft mice. I went for a wired mouse recently though and everything about it is great except the wheel. It has sideways scroll but the speed of the side scrolling is inconsistent. Also the middle-click doesn't register all the time. Fortunately there is a 4th button that acts as middle-click but it could be better.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=064

If only Apple would give up their solid shell design. I actually think the Microsoft one looks nicer.

You have to watch when looking at wireless mice because some aren't bluetooth. They come with a USB adaptor, which partly defeats the purpose of a wireless mouse because you have to plug it in anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I don't like wireless devices much. I find the mice to be too heavy and having to replace batteries is a pain. Getting a rechargeable mouse with a dock should sort the battery issue though.

I don't like Apple's mice either and I usually go for Microsoft mice. I went for a wired mouse recently though and everything about it is great except the wheel. It has sideways scroll but the speed of the side scrolling is inconsistent. Also the middle-click doesn't register all the time. Fortunately there is a 4th button that acts as middle-click but it could be better.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=064

If only Apple would give up their solid shell design. I actually think the Microsoft one looks nicer.

You have to watch when looking at wireless mice because some aren't bluetooth. They come with a USB adaptor, which partly defeats the purpose of a wireless mouse because you have to plug it in anyway.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with most of what you've said. When I've gone to the Apple store and looked at their products the mighty mouse just hasn't done it for me. I want to like it but just don't like the feel of it. I use the mouse the most. I'm not currently into keyboard shortcuts. Maybe that will change over time. Also agree that USB mouse would be less than ideal as it would tie up a port and there's only 2 on the MBP! Only advantage to a USB mouse is that they are cheap and reliable.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    You should also consider Logitech. They make some really great mice, corded and cordless.

Check out the MX series. I've got an MX510 corded. Great mouse.

Logitech Mouse Range
  • Reply 4 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac

You should also consider Logitech. They make some really great mice, corded and cordless.

Check out the MX series. I've got an MX510 corded. Great mouse.

Logitech Mouse Range

I've read reports of users with logitech mice that have had kernel panics. I've had logitec mice in the past for some pcs and they were great. Will they play nice with Macs? I saw a blue tooth cordless mouse for $49.00 which really has my interest. Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I don't like the Mighty Mouse. Too touchy and not precise enough. Hate the tiny rollerball... don't know how to position my fingers with that damn nubbin getting in the way. When I buy my new 24" iMac I'm going to keep my old one-button mouse.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Also the middle-click doesn't register all the time.

Marvin, I have a Microsoft mouse (not the same as yours but similar and I have the same problem with middle-click. I've found I get a better response from it when I press more from the front of the mouse, almost putting your finger in front of the button, away from you and pulling back (rather than pressing down from directly over the mouse, as you would expect to). YMMV but it seems they didn't get the direction as most people expected!