$300-$600 off MacBooks at CompUSA?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.compusa.com/products/conf...config_id=1086

is this for real? I thought that Apple prevented its reseller from doing stuff like this. I can't see any catch. it doesn't seem that they require you to buy anything else in order to receive the rebates listed. I would love to get my hands on a MacBook Pro for only $1699.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Why would Apple prevent resellers from discounts, and how could that even be legal? The reason for those discounts is that those are previous-generation models.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Whoops! I guess I subliminally inserted the "2" into the Core Duo processor bit. Yes indeed... they are the previous generation MacBookPros. Still, a heck of a deal if you ask me.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Not when compared to the refurbished store at Apple. $1449 vs. $1699, $1599 vs. $1899 and $2199 vs. $2499.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Not when compared to the refurbished store at Apple. $1449 vs. $1699, $1599 vs. $1899 and $2199 vs. $2499.

gyaarr... foiled again!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Why would Apple prevent resellers from discounts, and how could that even be legal? The reason for those discounts is that those are previous-generation models.

Um, if they want to remain a reseller...it's all in their contract, I imagine. Resellers don't make a damn thing anyway. I was a distributor with Ingram Micro for awhile. I couldn't buy Apple stuff because you need to authorized (I tried, but no cigar) but I saw the prices. If retail on a Powermac was $2000 Ingram's price for wholesale was $1850 or even $1900. The margin is unreal. That's one reason you don't see more than a $5 difference on Mac prices. Apple's price controls and inventory controls have become amazing under Steve Jobs II.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Manufacturer's set prices all the time -- most of the major ones do. I know Apple and Sony do . I think they can offer mail in rebates, but they can't just lower the price until a new version has been released.