MBP C2D & S-Video?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all. I ordered a MBP C2D (15" 2.16GHz 1GB 160GB) on Tuesday, to replace my aging PowerBook 1.25GHz. I've just noticed that, unlike my PB, the MBP doesn't have an S-Video port. I don't use S-Video that often, but it's handy to have. Is there any way to get an S-Video output on the MBP, e.g. by an adaptor?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
  • Reply 2 of 15
    That link doesn't work for me; it just sends me to the UK Apple Store for Business home page. Could you post the information about what it points to here, please?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    It's an adapter from the MacBook Pro's DVI port to Composite (Cinch/RCA) and S-Video. So, yes, you can get S-Video output through an adapter, and Apple offers one for $19.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Thanks; much appreciated.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I went into the AppleStore in Manchester today, with the intetion of buying one. However, I was told that it won't work with the MBP, and that there's currently no way to get s-video out from a MBP. Can anyone say whether or not they have tried this, and got it working?

The person in the apple store did say that something would be available in the future that would allow me to do this, but not yet. I get the feeling that they were talking about the iTV - so is not having S-video on the MBP a ploy to get people to buy the iTV?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I have used S-Video but only when I have too. It's a format that never really caught on IMHO.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Is that on a MBP using the adaptor?

It's the only way I have to link to my TV (which has scart, phono and s-video components), hence why I use it. I guess new screens will come with DVI or VGA connections, so it won't be a problem in the future.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Peel

I went into the AppleStore in Manchester today, with the intetion of buying one. However, I was told that it won't work with the MBP, and that there's currently no way to get s-video out from a MBP. Can anyone say whether or not they have tried this, and got it working?

The person in the apple store did say that something would be available in the future that would allow me to do this, but not yet. I get the feeling that they were talking about the iTV - so is not having S-video on the MBP a ploy to get people to buy the iTV?

I get the feeling that they were frankly misinformed, which is quite unfortunate.

Since the store link didn't work for you, I'll just show you the way how to see it for yourself

1) http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html lists a "Apple DVI to Video Adapter (M9267G/A)" option near the bottom.

2) Clicking that link leads you to the store, and hopefully directly to the product. The description reads:

"Apple DVI to Video Adapter

Use the DVI to Video Adapter to connect the DVI port on MacBook Pro, Power Mac G5 or Mac mini to any S-video or Composite enabled device."

3) If you don't get to the proper product page that way, use the search and try something like: "dvi s-video macbook pro".

I don't personally have it, so I can unfortunately not vouch for whether it works, but I have no doubt. Here's the latest review, also no that page:

"I have a MacBook Pro 15" and it works fine. Quality is just as I'd expect with s-video."
  • Reply 9 of 15
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

I have used S-Video but only when I have too. It's a format that never really caught on IMHO.

S-Video "never really caught on"? Really?

Steve
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

S-Video "never really caught on"? Really?

Steve

I don't think it did. Sure, it's everywhere on notebooks but how many people really use it? Maybe I'm wrong. I've just never been a big fan.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    OK, thanks - the instructions for finding the page on the US store worked. I'm guessing the problem is to do with my location - I'm in the UK, and we use a different TV standard (PAL vs. NTSC), so it may just be that Apple hasn't gotten the adaptor (which has code M9267*/A here) ready yet. There are two adaptors in the UK apple store - "Apple DVI to Video Adapter" and "Apple PAL DVI to Video Adapter", both of which state "Requires Mac mini or Power Mac G5 with DVI port. ". Neither page gives the product code, which's useful, and the UK version of the MBP tech specs page doesn't have the titles linked like the US.

I'll try asking again in a couple of weeks, when having the adaptor becomes more urgent (for the time being, I can just use my powerbook, but that will hopefully be sold in a couple of weeks). I'll push them a bit more for technical details if they give teh same answer. Thanks again for the help.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Yeah, I just looked at the UK store and see the two adapters there. That's extremely weird; usually, switching between PAL and NTSC is done on the machine itself (in System Preferences, Displays). This is certainly how it worked for my iBook's mini-VGA-to-Video adapter, anyway, in German (PAL as well).

But again, I don't have that particular adapter, so I won't vouch for whether Apple UK is just misinformed or not.

Sorry \
  • Reply 13 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I have the Apple Video Adapter. It works. It's about as good as I would see from any computer's TV-out. It's not as good as I think they should be, they are never nearly as good as what I see from any consumer DVD player that I've owned for example. If it was close, I'd use my Mac to output DVD playback to my TV but it's not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

It's not a format. It's also offered on just about any TV and piece of consumer electronics save for standard VCRs, so I don't understand the "not caught on" line.

Even if you only have composite, that Apple Video Adapter has composite out too. I don't think they offer component out though, that might have been nice, but given that most computer analog TV outs are bad, I don't know if it would be any better.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Yeah, I just looked at the UK store and see the two adapters there. That's extremely weird; usually, switching between PAL and NTSC is done on the machine itself (in System Preferences, Displays). This is certainly how it worked for my iBook's mini-VGA-to-Video adapter, anyway, in German (PAL as well).

But again, I don't have that particular adapter, so I won't vouch for whether Apple UK is just misinformed or not.

I am certain I've checked "PAL" just to try it. The graphics chip can output both standards. I can't try it right now because I can't find my adapter. I think the only plausible differences are in the certifications.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I have the Apple Video Adapter. It works. It's about as good as I would see from any computer's TV-out. It's not as good as I think they should be, they are never nearly as good as what I see from any consumer DVD player that I've owned for example. If it was close, I'd use my Mac to output DVD playback to my TV but it's not.

It's not a format. It's also offered on just about any TV and piece of consumer electronics save for standard VCRs, so I don't understand the "not caught on" line.

Even if you only have composite, that Apple Video Adapter has composite out too. I don't think they offer component out though, that might have been nice, but given that most computer analog TV outs are bad, I don't know if it would be any better.

I mean I don't think most people use it. I realize it's on most consumer devices. Isn't the the DVI connector a better way to go (or whatever..you know what I'm referring to).