What "Tivo" should I buy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My wife and I are ready for a "Tivo", PVR. It's hard to get a handle on all the PVR options out there. I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of all the options out there. I have Comcast and don't want to upgrade to digital cable ($$) just to rent their single channel PVR ($10/month).

I don't have HD and don't care about it and don't want it. I don't want to give comcast more money. I want to be able to record two channels at once. Right now I don't feel like I need weeks and weeks of TV storage. Plus if I get a Tivo I can hack it for more.

Everyone seems to hate Tivo these days because it's subscription and they allowed some DRM on their box. The series 2 DT seems to do all I want. If I prepay for 3 years it will cost me $400 (rounding up). It'll record two channels and at least one HD (in case I do start caring about HD which I wont).

Is there a better deal out there? Opinions? Am I crazy for thinking the Tivo is the best deal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Only certain models of TiVos can record two channels at once, so be careful.

Quote:

Can I record two shows at the same time?

It depends on which TiVo® box you purchase.

Yes?With the TiVo® Series2? DT DVR ("DT" stands for "Dual Tuner"), you can record two shows at once. The dual-tuner feature also makes it possible to record two shows at the same time and watch a third prerecorded program.

Yes?With the DIRECTV® DVR with TiVo® service, you can also record two shows at once while watching a third prerecorded program. The system requires a Dual LNB DIRECTV satellite dish with DIRECTV programming. Professional installation is recommended. Find out more at www.directv.com/directvdvr.

No?Aside from the TiVo® Series2? DT DVR ("DT" stands for "Dual Tuner"), TiVo boxes (work with cable, satellite, antenna) cannot record more than one show at a time due to hardware limitations. You can, however, watch a prerecorded program while your TiVo box is recording another live program. (Try that with a VCR!) It is possible that future-generation TiVo boxes may contain a second tuner, which would allow you to record two shows simultaneously.

All DirecTV/TiVo combo units can record two channels at once, (while simultaneously watching something that was previously recorded).

DirecTV charges $5/month for all the DVR's in your home, no matter how many you have. The only model still on the market (for now) is the HR10-250, which runs $300 or so, but it is HD. DirecTV markets their own brand of DVRs, and you can get the SD model for as little as $0.00.

For TiVo information check out the TiVo Community.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I'm not getting Direct TV.

I am capable of reading spec's on Tivo models and getting one that has the spec's I want.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    No more replies? I though you'd guys would have a ton of opinions.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo

Is there a better deal out there? Opinions? Am I crazy for thinking the Tivo is the best deal?

The best deal is to make your own DVR using a linux computer (or you can even install it on an old xbox) and the MythTV package.

http://www.mythtv.org/

Personally, I use DirectTv, because it was way better image quality than analog cable, and I switched before Digitial cable came out.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Uhhh? I already have a DIY telecine project that's behind schedule.

Looks like it's Tivo S2 for me