Printing from the 2nd Ethernet Port on a Mac Pro

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
good day,

I have a shiney new Mac Pro and was surprised to see a second Ethernet port on the back.

I have an HP 2550ln net work ready laser printer.. how do I go about setting this up to print from this port (i'm using the first one for my network.

thanks!

b.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I would think that the better way to do this would be to plug both the printer and the mac into a switch. Then let what ever is acting as a router for your Mac also be the router for your printer (your router is probably your cable modem, but you gave no details of the rest of your network so it's impossible to say).

But to spare the expense of a new switch ($25 or so) you could use the network control panel to configure your second ethernet port with a static dummy ip address (say, 192.168.2.1) and give the printer a static dummy ip address in the same subnet (192.168.2.2). That is assuming you can assign the printer a static ip address.

I think that would work.

Another approach would be to go to the sharing preference panel, in the Internet tab and turn on sharing on your 2nd built in ethernet port.

I think that would work too but I am not equipped to test these things as I only have one port on my PowerMac.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to try what you've suggested. But I'll also add what is actually happening as far as a network goes.

Cable modem -> 16 port switch -> airport Extreme ~~> air port express

-> two PCs

-> MacPro -(trying to)-> HP network printer

-> Server

I'll post the results.

again thanks.

flick.