macbook core duo vs core 2 duo?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
is it really worth to upgrade when the macbook goes to the core 2 duo?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Only when Leopard comes out and you wanna run 64bit. CoreDuo does not support 64bit.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I edit HDV on my Macbook 2.0 Ghz white with FCP. I was thinking of upgrading to the Core2Duo but I doubt it would give me noticeably faster render times.

I think that the "old" Macbooks are just fine and people should only upgrade if and when Apple goes Quad-core on the "books". Or if they had included dedicated graphics in this update (which I don't need).

Now, if this is your first Macbook, then shit yeah get the Core2Duo!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Wait. Core 2 Duo supports 64 bit, and Core Duo does not?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GogDog

Wait. Core 2 Duo supports 64 bit, and Core Duo does not?

Correct.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I'm glad I waited for the upgrade, then. I'm getting a new MacBook next week.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I just exchanged my Core Duo for Core 2, bought 2 weeks ago and exchanged it Thursday. So far so good
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Err....correct me if I'm wrong here computer programmers (I'm not a computer programmer just an Apple geek)...but unless you need insane amouts (ie 32 gigs) of RAM, or are performing esoteric 64-bit math operations, there is no difference. People think "64-bit" is "better" somehow. All it does is let you have more memory basically. But 32 bit lets you have several gigs already. And really, in a notebook, that's already pushing it...unless you have a spare few thousand lying around for those huge 2 (have they reached 4 yet?) gig SO-DIMMs. I imagine they must cost at least a few thousand still.

64-bit means jack for a regular user. Apparently they are a tiny bit faster but at 10% faster per clock that seems barely noticeable unless you again are doing some intense stuff. But there again, a MacBook for intense stuff?? You'd at least have a MBP at that point. Don't worry about it. Save your cash for next year when plenty of crazier stuff comes out.

On the other hand, most people won't listen and will pay the premium. I'm counting on this. When I sell my MacBook Core 2 Duo in a year it will be worth probably $50 to $100 more because "ooo it's 64 bit!"
  • Reply 8 of 8
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Well, there's the fact that Core 2 Duo chips have benchmarked about 30% faster at the same clock speed as the Core Duo. Whether the end user sees that directly I don't know, but it is something to take into consideration, especially if you're running CPU-bound applications that can use every improved clock cycle they can get.