iPod shuffle sales embargoed ahead of Nov. 3 launch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer is looking to stir up a little extra excitement this Friday by orchestrating an official launch of its previously introduced but not-yet-available second-generation iPod shuffle digital music player, AppleInsider learned.

At just over one inch tall, the $79 clip-on device is not only one of the most affordable digital music players to hit the market, but according to Apple, it is also the smallest.

Although the first shipments of the new shuffle are already reported to be in transit to the U.S., people familiar with the iPod maker's plans say a hard launch date for the second-generation player has been set for Friday, Nov. 3.

Apple retail stores and big-box retailers such as Best Buy and Circuit City should begin taking receipt of new shuffles sometime this week but have been instructed not to display or sell the players until Friday, those people say.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple has historically launched new products towards the first half of each business week, but recently saw some success in a Friday launch of its PRODUCT (RED) iPod nano.

Each iPod shuffle contains 1 Gigabyte of storage, good enough to hold about 240 songs. Meanwhile, its built-in rechargeable lithium polymer battery offers up to 12-hours of playback when fully charged, Apple says.

The second-generation shuffle is the only iPod from Apple to ship with a docking station at no addition cost. It comes packaged in the same style translucent packaging used for the company's aluminum iPod nano players and also includes earphones and a Quick Start guide.

Due to its attractive price tag and surprisingly appealing design, analysts have high hopes that sales of the player will contribute significantly Apple's overall iPod unit shipments during its holiday quarter, of which current estimates range from 15 to 20 million total units.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Holy Spicy Tuna Handroll!
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Hang on, didn't Apple ALREADY launch this unit?

What are they doing now - setting an availability date of 'October' and then re-launching the same unit without change (physical or price) in November?

What's happened to the 'famous' Apple supply chain?

These guys are starting to look like they're becoming media whores and that's a bad sign, that's the start of the Messiah complex as far as businesses go.

And this sort of thing is getting old - I've no problem with waiting for unannounced product or in waiting for announced product to become available AT THE ANNOUNCED DATE, but I take issue with what is effectively a 'double-dip' purely for marketing.

Or it could be that they screwed up the initial delivery date so badly that they feel they need to re-announce the product to build interest back up... either way, this sucketh the big one.

• Reply 3 of 24
    Or maybe the interest in it was unexpected, and they want to milk it, rightfully so. I understand perfectly why they'd want to do it, and have no problem with it.

I can't wait to get mine, personally. Apple Australia website says shipping in 2 business days now.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I actually want one, and that surprises me.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Holy Spicy Tuna Handroll!

<homer> Mmmmm.... Spicy Tuna Handroll.... </homer>
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood

I actually want one, and that surprises me.

Not surprising. Super tiny, dock included, super scratch resistant like iPod nano (based on the heritage of the highly highly robust iPod mini 1st gen), 1 GB. Everybody will want one!!!

I predict 10 million new Shuffles sold worldwide in November and December. $79 US, $119 AUD, very affordable little pressie (present) for holidayze.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deckard

These guys are starting to look like they're becoming media whores...

8) RDF + Kool-Aid = Apple has been media whores for a long long time

<south park IIRC>

Cartman, you're mum's on the cover of Crack Ho!

"Er... she said she was young, and needed the money"

Dude, she was in the magazine last week..!

</south park>

Quote:

...That's a bad sign, that's the start of the Messiah complex as far as businesses go.

Hmm... Apple? Steve Jobs? John Ives? Most innovative, coolest company? Messiah complex? Nooooo.... never

Quote:

And this sort of thing is getting old - I've no problem with waiting for unannounced product or in waiting for announced product to become available AT THE ANNOUNCED DATE, but I take issue with what is effectively a 'double-dip' purely for marketing.

Ah, most of us are burnt out from the hullabaloo this year. So, yeah, it's like whatever, let the unwashed masses, those iPod Shuffle-ees have their fun.

Quote:

Or it could be that they screwed up the initial delivery date so badly that they feel they need to re-announce the product to build interest back up... either way, this sucketh the big one.

Umm... No, end of October promised, a few days after October hard launch shipped. Slight slippage but the marketing budget of re-announcing will be worth it's cost a few times over. Just all about consolidating their christmas lineup for November and December. So that all resellers, ad agencies, marketing, media, etc. is all in sync and ready to roll - at least that's the way I see it.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

I've no problem with waiting for unannounced product ...

How do you know what you're waiting for? You don't believe the stories here do you?

Or are you in a perpetual state of semi anticipation?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

8) RDF + Kool-Aid = Apple has been media whores for a long long time

<south park IIRC>

Cartman, you're mum's on the cover of Crack Ho!

"Er... she said she was young, and needed the money"

Dude, she was in the magazine last week..!

</south park>

Hmm... Apple? Steve Jobs? John Ives? Most innovative, coolest company? Messiah complex? Nooooo.... never

Ah, most of us are burnt out from the hullabaloo this year. So, yeah, it's like whatever, let the unwashed masses, those iPod Shuffle-ees have their fun.

Umm... No, end of October promised, a few days after October hard launch shipped. Slight slippage but the marketing budget of re-announcing will be worth it's cost a few times over. Just all about consolidating their christmas lineup for November and December. So that all resellers, ad agencies, marketing, media, etc. is all in sync and ready to roll - at least that's the way I see it.

Actually, 2 seperate Apple Australia reps stipulated October 25th launch in-country.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

How do you know what you're waiting for? You don't believe the stories here do you?

Or are you in a perpetual state of semi anticipation?

I guess some things are obvious next steps (like the Mac Book Pro update)... other than that I just notice when they release new stuff; if I need it then I buy it... if I don't need it then I don't buy it.

Getting to the point where I couldn't really care less what Apple announce - I'm over their bullshit secrecy and hype machine.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

I guess some things are obvious next steps (like the Mac Book Pro update)... other than that I just notice when they release new stuff; if I need it then I buy it... if I don't need it then I don't buy it.

Getting to the point where I couldn't really care less what Apple announce - I'm over their bullshit secrecy and hype machine.

But the anticipation is 3/4 of the fun!
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Messiah complex my ass. People here spend too much time trying to imagine what Steve Jobs is like to actually go work at Apple and perhaps discover it for themselves.

He's a perfectionist. If you're not then you won't want to be under his thumb.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    shipped from China....

hopefully i'll get it on friday.

• Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

And yet here you post.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i'll be buying one. although i have a 30gb 5g ipod, i have gone through 2 shuffles, the first got washed and dried in the dryer a couple of times (and still worked) and finally gave up the ghost and the second still running strong. its a great little player i clip to my hat while i work outside or hike....the new one is even better and smaller, definite 'BUY' for me - its great for outdoor activities.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JTBLQ

shipped from China....

hopefully i'll get it on friday.

I noticed that too. Through FedEx even!

Seems odd that they're shipping them directly from China to your porch. I would believe it is cheaper for them to ship by the crate load to some distribution center in Mexico (minus some tariffs) and then off to their final destinations. I had believed that was the delay in getting the shuffles out - guess not.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

I called it in and threw in the towel a few weeks ago. I'm done for the year. I still like Apple and rumours but I'm taking my head out of the laptop and the foot off the (mouse) pedal a little.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Actually, 2 seperate Apple Australia reps stipulated October 25th launch in-country.

Interesting... Will new shuffles be at Oz resellers this Friday and Saturday? Hmm... Hey, by the way, the Apple resellers in Melbourne seem to be really spread out, huh? Well, it's good for coverage of the suburbs, I guess...
  • Reply 19 of 24
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Hang on, didn't Apple ALREADY launch this unit?

What are they doing now - setting an availability date of 'October' and then re-launching the same unit without change (physical or price) in November?

What's happened to the 'famous' Apple supply chain?

These guys are starting to look like they're becoming media whores and that's a bad sign, that's the start of the Messiah complex as far as businesses go.

It's called christmas shopping hype. The player is both nice and affordable, and an IPOD.

It's something anyone can get anyone for christmas. And with american thanksgiving coming which is followed by the biggest shopping day of the year.

This is a very, very smart move.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    I think the delay (if there really was one based on the Australia rep comment) was to allow Apple to further build up inventories for the in-store launch. From the pre-orders, Apple could see that the shuffle was hot. On the Apple Store, the shuffle is higher than the regular iPod.

So what's happened is that Apple has learned from the mini, which was introed in Jan but didn't get worldwide availability until July. And even in the US, there was little or no product in stores for months and months.

Good move, Apple.