My downloads are vanishing.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello!

I don't know what has happened but my downloads folder has turned extremely volatile. I have made a folder 'Downloads' in my 'Documents' folder and have set Safari, Firefox and Speed Download to download all files to that folder. Now, every few hours all the files in my downloads folder automatically get deleted permanently. A Spotlight search returns no results. Files downloaded from either of the three sources face the same fate, so I can't really blame a particular application. There are two folders within the 'Downloads' folder but they and their contents remain unaffected. Sometimes, when Firefox completes a download, I get the message that it is not possible to save my file to the specified location (the downloads folder) and that I should choose an alternate location. When I click on 'OK', the file is gone. I check the downloads folder after that and all my previous downloads have vanished too. I am very frustrated. What sort of a problem is this?

Can someone please help me urgently?

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    mmm, run disk utility and repair permissions? make sure that Safari isn't set up to delete cache or set up for privacy on close.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

I ran Disk Utility and repaired permissions. What is this, BTW?

No, 'Safari isn't set up to delete cache or set up for privacy on close.'