Want an ultra portable under pounder Mac? Sigh!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This is as close as we are going to get. Damn it!

It doesn't cost an arm and a leg either, though it isn't cheap.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4780

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Pff, not even a widescreen display.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Pff, not even a widescreen display.

Yeah, what a shame!
  • Reply 3 of 22
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don't think that's such a great deal.

Paying $1800 to $2100 with far less functionality.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Well, the battery life is nice, but then again, this is an ultra-low voltage CPU (read: expensive and slow), so it's not that surprising either.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Is a notebook with only two to three hours of battery life really that functional? It really depends on how close you are to power.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    12 hour battery life and under 2 pounds?

Apple... You know I want this except you maybe, if you could pretty it up a little here and there. A little closer to the old X505 if it wouldn't kill you.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

One always pays more for smaller. You know that.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Is a notebook with only two to three hours of battery life really that functional? It really depends on how close you are to power.

You didn't read the article, shame!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

You didn't read the article, shame!

I read the article. I was trying to point out why one would think this Sony would be considered more functional, rather than less like Teno claims. It was a veiled jab at the current Mac notebooks (and many others) for being crippled with respect to battery life.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

I read the article. I was trying to point out why one would think this Sony would be considered more functional, rather than less like Teno claims. It was a veiled jab at the current Mac notebooks (and many others) for being crippled with respect to battery life.

And, you missed this?

"Sony is also making available a version of the Vaio G with an integrated multi-DVD burner. This version also comes backed with a 6-cell battery which bumps battery life from an already amazing 6 hours to an almost unbelievable 12.5 hours."
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

And, you missed this?

"Sony is also making available a version of the Vaio G with an integrated multi-DVD burner. This version also comes backed with a 6-cell battery which bumps battery life from an already amazing 6 hours to an almost unbelievable 12.5 hours."

No, I did not miss that at all. I was complaining about the notebooks that weren't of that type. I guess I just can't be subtle.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

No, I did not miss that at all. I was complaining about the notebooks that weren't of that type. I guess I just can't be subtle.

Nah, I guess not. It read as though you were talking about these.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    I used to use a Sony laptop, it died just outside of warranty. As the battery scandal has shown, they simply aren't a quality product: the company pays little attention to manufacturing standards.

Hell, even an old 12" Powerbook is a better bet!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Apple might be doing some market research to see if the business traveler would be interested in this, since it can now boot Windows. I doubt the average business traveler would prefer it to the usual PC laptops though.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I actually still have an old sony vaio picturebook that gets significant use at time. I have still done a bit of photoshop on it, and I use it now to datalog my car for tuning. The only real problem with it is the battery life - its down to maybe 45 minutes unplugged... Which is not acceptable for a laptop.. But Its a great lil laptop - widescreen and a built in camera! They were fantastic machines - no idea why sony took them out of hte lineup...
  • Reply 16 of 22
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

With this laptop you get ULV CPU and integrated graphics for $1800. 6 hours of battery life is not worth $1800 to me.

Is it really fair to classify a notebook that uses Merom and dedicated GPU crippled because it does not have 6 hours of battery life?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

With this laptop you get ULV CPU and integrated graphics for $1800. 6 hours of battery life is not worth $1800 to me.

It's capable of 12 hours if you buy the extended battery, and it would still be a featherweight.

Quote:

Is it really fair to classify a notebook that uses Merom and dedicated GPU crippled because it does not have 6 hours of battery life?

Why not? It's about what the user wants. Two to three hours seems pretty crippled at times if you almost always have to be near an outlet for it to be of any use. Being the fastest doesn't help if the battery is out of gas.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

The size is the price, and the price is the size.

I thought we learned this by now.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

It's capable of 12 hours if you buy the extended battery, and it would still be a featherweight.

Why not? It's about what the user wants. Two to three hours seems pretty crippled at times if you almost always have to be near an outlet for it to be of any use. Being the fastest doesn't help if the battery is out of gas.

Well, why leave it at that? Why not declare 12" notebooks "crippled" for not being able to display more information, or slower CPU machines "crippled" for not be able to run CPU intensive tasks quickly, or crippled for not having an optical drive, or crippled due to integrated graphics, etc?

It's always about tradeoffs. One man's crippled is another man's feature.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

Well, why leave it at that? Why not declare 12" notebooks "crippled" for not being able to display more information, or slower CPU machines "crippled" for not be able to run CPU intensive tasks quickly, or crippled for not having an optical drive, or crippled due to integrated graphics, etc?

It's always about tradeoffs. One man's crippled is another man's feature.

I don't think that there's any disagreement that we would ALL want machines with longer battery life.

If one machine can do it, it makes all other machines seem less capable.

The other arguments are a smokescreen. No one expects an ultralight to be a computing demon, or to be fully equiped without paying even more, which is an option here with the DVD burner.