External hard drive, and ram upgrade.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just bought my first Mac MacBook Pro Intel 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo. I'm just wondering if this ram would be compatable with my MBP.

Kingston 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SODIMM for Notebooks

Also, I'm looking into getting a external hard drive. I will be making one with a Notebook hard drive, and a HD Enclosure so I dont have to deal with a power cord, and just have the usb cable. Just curious if these will work and be compatable with MBP.

Samsung 120GB Spinpoint M60 5400rpm Notebook HDD w/ 8MB Cache

VANTEC Nexstar 3 Aluminum 3.5" Enclosure, USB2.0 & Firewire, Black

Also, having just ordered the new MPB and should be here in 2 weeks. Me being a new Apple user is there any thoughts on something I must have, tricks, or things I should say away from. Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    For external storage I think you're paying too much. I bought an external disk a while back and found no advantage to making my own. I think I bought a 300GB drive or less than $300.

For RAM I like to start at

http://www.ramseeker.com

to find out about how much I should be paying.

The help for the MBP will give you the RAM spec' Apple used to have a nice "memory guide" online but I can't find it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo

For external storage I think you're paying too much. I bought an external disk a while back and found no advantage to making my own. I think I bought a 300GB drive or less than $300.

For RAM I like to start at

http://www.ramseeker.com

to find out about how much I should be paying.

The help for the MBP will give you the RAM spec' Apple used to have a nice "memory guide" online but I can't find it.

That ramseeker site does not seem to work well for me. Power Mac G3 (b&w)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobotBryce

Also, I'm looking into getting a external hard drive. I will be making one with a Notebook hard drive, and a HD Enclosure so I dont have to deal with a power cord, and just have the usb cable. Just curious if these will work and be compatable with MBP.

Samsung 120GB Spinpoint M60 5400rpm Notebook HDD w/ 8MB Cache

VANTEC Nexstar 3 Aluminum 3.5" Enclosure, USB2.0 & Firewire, Black

That's a notebook 2.5" drive and you're looking at a 3.5" enclosure. I don't think that'll work.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    That's exactly the same RAM I am using.