Uploading Viruses / Application To Measure Internet Usage For OSX vers. 10.2 -HELP!!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey gang,

Excuse me if this has been done before, I couldn't find anything in the search. Sorry for the drudging content and its length but this is the backstory:

I just moved into a new place/new service provider and opted for the monthly 4gig limit rather than the unlimited. However my ISP is charging loads extra every month because we go way over that. It turns out we're uploading about 5 times as much as we're downloading (which is not possible).

Potentially, the reasons for this could be:

a) excessive upload-based gaming or a file sharing P2P program left on all the time (e.g. bittorrent, limewire) but this is not the case.

b) someone ILLEGALLY haha using my wireless although this is unlikely given I have changed the username/password, hidden the network etc and it's probably also unlikely that such an evil person would be using it mainly just to upload.

c) the ISP is at fault and owes me money/love

d) either my flatmate or myself have (unbeknown to us) a virus on one of our laptops that is uploading under our very noses. This is what my ISP conveniently suggested. So I'm trying to find out if we are, unfortunately both of us are too poor/reckless to afford anti-virus software.

I have OSX Tiger and have looked at Activity Monitor (Utilities folder) which suggests my downloading far exceeds my uploading so seems fine (unless there is a virus that hides uploading from this piece of software too??? -would this be likely? anyone have experience?)

...but we have been unable to establish dl/ul at all for her computer, an old iBook on OSX Jaguar (vers. 10.2) as Activity Monitor on this OS seems to come without the 'Network' tab where you can see your usage.

Is there an application (downloadable freeware or perhaps something i've missed on the computer) that measures internet usage for macs and that will work on this old beast?

I downloaded a widget for mine that reads from the Activity Monitor but as we know widgets are a recent invention. That was all I could find.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Billy.

:hmm:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I'm looking for something like this too. We have serious network problems and I want to see who is using what bandwidth. Some routers have a stats page that shows up overall bandwidth usage but there doesn't seem to be something to record it all the time. I tried various network programs that map out the network like Intermapper and I thought it might work but it seemed to show incorrect bandwidth stats.

There were some unix apps that looked promising but you'd think this kind of thing would be important enough that Apple would put something in the system by default. Even nmap isn't included by default.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

Sounds like you need Little Snitch.

That monitors outgoing network connections on one machine. What's required is monitoring multiple machines on a network.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I'm afraid I can't suggest anything for a network Marvin but aside from Little Snitch there's another application called Menumeters that also my provide me with a solution. I'm just going to install this on both machines and check to see neither is uploading ridiculous amounts. Which neither probably will be. I think my ISP will have some explaining to do.

Thanks!

Billy.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    ClamXav is a free anti-virus Mac app, if you're interested in that route.

Call the ISP, and while you're on the phone, have them monitor the connection. See if it's a high rate. If so, sleep/shut down your machines one by one. See if the upload level drops. If not, turn off your WiFi as well. If it *STILL* hasn't dropped, demand that they explain why your connection is being used by someone on *their* network.

If, however, it drops when any one of those devices is taken offline, you know where the culprit is.

Of course, this assumes that you call when the upload rate is high. Do they have any way of telling you *when* the data rate was high? Was it constant? Late at night? Sunday at 3am? etc, etc