Aperture 1.5.1 update, demo download coming today

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Thursday issues an update to its Aperture professional photography workflow application and also made available for download a fully-functional free trial of the software.

Aperture 1.5.1 (125MB), which is recommended for all users, addresses more than 100 issues related to overall reliability and performance in all areas of the application, Apple said.

Specifically, the update offers improvements to keywords, loupe, cropping, previews, metadata presets, versions, file renaming, iPhoto Library import and watermarks.

In an effort to get Aperture "in the hands of as many photographers as possible" the Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker also offering potential customers the opportunity to take Aperture 1.5 for a free test drive.

The trial provides users with a fully-functional version of Aperture 1.5 that they can use and experiment with.

"While it includes all the features available in a licensed copy, the trial version will expire 30 days after you launch it for the first time," Apple said. "Try it, and you’ll see how easy it is to import, manage, edit, catalog, organize, adjust, publish, export, and archive your RAW, JPEG, TIFF, and PSD images."

Separately on Thursday, the company released digital camera RAW support updates in PowerPC (1.4MB) and Universal (2.4MB) formats.

The updates improve RAW file format compatibility for certain digital SLR cameras, including the Nikon D80, Pentax *ist DS, and Canon Digital Rebel XTi / 400D / Kiss X Digital. It also addresses issues with handling of large Canon RAW files, DNG compatibility on Intel-based Macs, and lines that sometimes appearing in images exported from Aperture.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

The demo allows photographers to try out every aspect of the program, which has not been crippled in any[way]

This is excellent news. Many people have been clamoring for a demo version of Aperture.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Apple is the king of demo software, they don't take stuff out or nerf the functionality in anyway when they release demos. I don't know of any other major software company that does that.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    ah well, ive only got a macbook but ill try it any way lol
  • Reply 4 of 31
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus

Apple is the king of demo software, they don't take stuff out or nerf the functionality in anyway when they release demos. I don't know of any other major software company that does that.

Macromedia (I don't think Adobe has changed this) does full unlimited demos too.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm leaving for the show right after this post. I'll be there tomorrow as well. I'll tell what I see, later tonight.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Sick! I'm looking forward to trying out a an aperture demo.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Sick! I'm looking forward to trying out a an aperture demo.

yeah same here, but where is it?!
  • Reply 8 of 31
    The update is now available through Software Update.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

yeah same here, but where is it?!

http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/

nice one cheers
  • Reply 11 of 31
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Great move by Apple.

I've been watching Aperture for some time. v1 was too buggy, so I don't want to jump in blindly.

But this move will probably make me an Aperture customer 31 days from now. (Assuming the quality is good.)
  • Reply 12 of 31
    I got back from the PhotoExpo a few minutes ago.

Apple has one of the largest booths at the show. Canon has the largest by far, and has two, to boot.

Apaterture runs much faster on the Mac Pro then it did on the Quad.

For new 64 bit MBP users, there is good news as well. The program ran well. not as fast as on a Mac Pro, of course, but much much better than on Powerbooks, and it seemed to be noticably faster than when running on the older Yonah machine. I didn't check the amount of RAM, but I'm pretty sure it had at least 2GB.

Not much was done to the corrective capabilities over 1.5, but that was to be expected. most photogs will be moving files to PS as soon as they have them sorted anyway.

All in all, it was pretty good.

I was surprised that they didn't have much seating. Adobe must have eight times as much.

Well, it's almost official, wet photography is about gone.

Both Kodak and Fuji were almost all about digital. Fuji, for example had one counter with their film. It was about five feet long. They had a much larger area for printing paper, but still a minority of the space.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Well, it's almost official, wet photography is about gone.

Both Kodak and Fuji were almost all about digital. Fuji, for example had one counter with their film. It was about five feet long. They had a much larger area for printing paper, but still a minority of the space.

Fantastic. I've always hated working with film. And with RED just around the corner (in a manner of speaking), we'll be set!
  • Reply 14 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Is this software even worth looking at if I don't have a camera that supports RAW? I think it only saves jpgs, the only choices I get are low medium and high.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Is this software even worth looking at if I don't have a camera that supports RAW? I think it only saves jpgs, the only choices I get are low medium and high.

Well, put it this way: if you paid even less for your camera than you'd pay for Aperture, Aperture probably isn't worth it.

It works fine with non-RAW images, but RAW is where it actually thrives.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Well, put it this way: if you paid even less for your camera than you'd pay for Aperture, Aperture probably isn't worth it.

It works fine with non-RAW images, but RAW is where it actually thrives.

Except it doesn't support RAW files from quite a lot of important cameras! And the DNG support is flaky as well!
  • Reply 17 of 31
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Sure, but those are continuously improved.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spylaw4

Except it doesn't support RAW files from quite a lot of important cameras! And the DNG support is flaky as well!

For clarification, could you name the cameras that you are so concerned about?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spylaw4

And why are you dumping on Apple re DNG support?
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

As this is SUPPOSED to be pro software, the answer is no. There are no cameras that this program makes worth using with it that don't have RAW.

A jpeg only camera is just made for snapshots. Stick with iPhoto.