StyleWriter 1200 to Ibook G4

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there a way to make an Ibook G4 to print on a StyleWriter 1200??

Geoff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Wow. You still have one? That was my very first printer back when I got my first Mac - a Performa 635 CD. Do you have a lifetime supply of ink cartridges?

You should get a samsung laser printer for a couple hundred
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sauceman

Is there a way to make an Ibook G4 to print on a StyleWriter 1200??

Geoff.

No, the StyleWritter 1200 is a serial printer. MacOS X prints via Ethernet or USB (and FireWire, IIRC).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

No, the StyleWritter 1200 is a serial printer. MacOS X prints via Ethernet or USB (and FireWire, IIRC).

Ah, the SW1200. Damn fine printer. Second only to the Imagewriter II in my book for early apple printer efforts. (Both of which I still have!)

There are serial port to usb adapters out there (see linky) that state they support serial printer emulation. My only experience is with a SCSI to USB adapter though so I can't vouch for their workability...

http://www.atomicpark.com/xq/aspx/ke...uctdetail.html
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt

Do you have a lifetime supply of ink cartridges?

Canon BC-02 cartridges and off brand makes are still available for the 1200.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opuscroakus

There are serial port to usb adapters out there (see linky) that state they support serial printer emulation. My only experience is with a SCSI to USB adapter though so I can't vouch for their workability...

Apple makes no driver for this printer when connected via a USB adapter. However, it should work via CUPS. The CUPS driver available here.