7200rpm hard disk in Mbp Core 2 Duo

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I read that new macbook pro 15' core 2 duo, cannot accecpt hard disk 7200 rpm.

I need this drive. It seems that apple has locked new mbp in such way that you cannot put a third-party hard drive 7200rpm. It even that there is not even an option of a 7200 disk from apple. No way out!

I do not need having a good laptop such as mbp2 is, but also a fast hard disk.

I do not think that there is such a chance in the bto laptops.

So, can you suggest me any way to fit a 7200rpm disk in the new mbp core 2 duo?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I'm pretty sure any 2.5" SATA drive will work.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Order it with the 160 GB 5400 one. It'll be virtually as fast as the 100 GB 7200 one.

Three reasons speak against inserting your own:

1) you will lose warranty

2) you will lose the metal plate, meaning increased noise

3) the higher rpm will cause heat to increase
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I would like to fit one at any cost! But it seems that apple does not matter if all these new macbooks get slow because of hard disk. I want it for professional use, I have to pay so much to buy it (instead of pc laptop) and I dont have the option -neither from apple or third party manufacturer- to have one? It is stupid! I cannot buy the 17'' macbook, I cannot carry it all the time!

No solution?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Chucker gave you one...

But, hey, what the fuck does he know?

Besides, if money isn't a problem just get the 17 inch. It's only about a POUND in difference. If that's too much more to carry around, maybe you should get a macbook.

Or maybe you could start lifting weights...

That's what SDW did, and now he can carry around 37 MBP's with no problem whatsoever.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Somebody should pull up the exact specs, but I believe a 5400 drive with perpendicular recording is in the same performance bracket as a 7200 drive without perpendicular recording because with the increased density of perpendicular recording, it is possible to read/write data at about the same speed.

From experience, I upgraded my old PowerBook from its stock 80GB drive to a 160GB 5400 PATA drive with perpendicular recording and the speed increase was very noticeable (more than I'd expected in going from 4200 to 5400). I do think it is due to the perpendicular recording, but I don't have solid numbers to back that up.

Not that I think the questioner cares, but the 5400 will be quieter, less-vibration, less-heat and less-power than the 7200. And an external FW800 AV (audio-video) drive is always an option. Hell, get an external 10,000 or faster FW drive -- I think that is still possible with a SCSI<->FW box.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    The real question is why does "cool 11" think he needs this 7200 RPM drive? I would have preffered a higher RPM drive as well, but do I "need" it, no. I'm not even sure how much real performance it would mean anyway. Now, I have heard that the difference between 4200 and 5400 is pretty big. I had a PBG4 with a 5400 (BTO) and from what I read, it was a lot faster in real world tasks than was the 4200 they used to offer.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    The 17in is NOT PORTABLE. I had a 15, went to a 17, and am going back to a 15. The seventeen inch (to me) isn't easy to take in and out of a case, etc.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Take a look at this:

http://www.notebook.de/index.php?sec...up=393&lang=en

7200 option! What is going on?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Nobody else seems to interest in 7200rpm hard disks...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I installed a 7200RPM drive in my first 15" MBP, I bought it from MacMall. I followed a video at OWC. The only problem I had was having to moving the SATA cable a little to the left as it covered the breathing hole.

I didn't notice a huge speed increase, unfortunately. I needed the speed for video editing and ending up having to use an external anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    How they 'locked' the disk to be only 5400rpm? By firmware or by hardware?

Why the previous mbp has the 7200 option and the new one does not? One step forward, one step back?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jpennington- would you recommend sticking with the 5400, if I plan on using an external drive for editing anyway? I'm ordering my MBP this week, and I guess I'm concerned about speed and accuracy.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cool11

How they 'locked' the disk to be only 5400rpm? By firmware or by hardware?

Why the previous mbp has the 7200 option and the new one does not? One step forward, one step back?

I don't think they can lock it out. I don't remember a 7200 option for the stock model MBP.

Quote:

Nobody else seems to interest in 7200rpm hard disks...

...or maybe the idea really wasn't all that popular and they decided it wasn't worth offering? I used to lust after the faster spinning drives, but the cost in storage to do so is just too high, and a 160GB 5400 drive isn't a lot slower than the 100GB 7200 drive.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I wonder how much slower is the 5400rpm disk compared to 7200rpm, in real-world conditions.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I wonder how much slower is the 5400rpm disk compared to 7200rpm, in real-world conditions.

It's hard to say without someone trying it.

The Barefeats site is interesting, but it might not provide an accurate picture of how much the smaller but faster spinning drive can change things for your uses and the apps that you use, which is really the important thing to consider. Real-world conditions vary between users. I don't know of any other site or any magazine that does testing to that level, but they don't test things such as Final Cut and Photoshop, but rather, test with benchmarks that may or may not represent the performance difference with normal apps.