Macbook Purchase...Wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I am curious, I am planning on buying a Macbook sometime by the end of January (the earlier the better), however, I don't want to buy the one available now, and then lose out when either the price drops, or it gets the Core2Duo. THe option I'm getting are the the 2.0 GHZ core, 1GB ram, and 80 GB hard drive. It's mostly just going to be used for internet surfing, homework (university stuff), and music, while occasionally downloading things, and watching movies. You guys seem really knowledgeable, so what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Well if you don't need it until the end of January you may as well wait. Not only should there be updates to the MacBook by then but also iLife 07 should appear at MacWorld early January.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Yeah I'd hang off. The Macworld thing is like the 9th of January and people are expecting some changes. Two months isn't that long to wait. Changes I'd want is a choice of matte screen in the Macbook as well as higher resolution displays. Apart from that, I would have no problem buying the machine now even though I do find the size to be more cumbersome than my old 12" powerbook.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    If you need one, buy it.

If you don't, wait.

FFS!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    And... don't expect a price drop.

It's not or upgrade or price drop,

it's upgrade or upgrade and pricedrop.

In this case if you're lucky you get a brand new MacBook and a pricedrop.

Although I'm a chronic optimist, I don't expect a pricedrop this time around.

The current MacBook is more than six months old, an update os imminent.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Any chance of the MacBook getting dedicated graphics with this next update? Isn't Leopard going to require a dedicated graphics chip? So wouldn't Apple want to start making their systems Leopard compatable?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thundercleetz

Any chance of the MacBook getting dedicated graphics with this next update? Isn't Leopard going to require a dedicated graphics chip? So wouldn't Apple want to start making their systems Leopard compatable?

No way is Leopard going to require a Graphics card with dedicated VRAM. Today's Mini, MB and some iMacs ship with these cards Apple can't and won't exclude these ppl.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I'm guessing the next Macbook update will conincide with Santa Rosa and the GMA X3000. But perhaps not as Santa Rosa is kinda far off...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I don't really understand why you're even asking. I mean if you aren't planning to get one until the end of January anyway then you've got an entire MacWorld keynote to see if new ones come out.

Even though I just bought my macbook a few days ago, I hope the news ones are announced in January and they have dedicated graphics. Like an X1300 with 128MBs or something. I'd rather have dedicated graphics then a core 2 duo. That is the only thing I find wrong with the current macbooks.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Thanks alot for the opinions guys.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Maybe you guys can help me out here. Right now I am looking at the 15-inch: 2.16GHz MacBook Pro. My first question is, if I get this notebook with 2GBs of memory, can I later upgrade it to 3GB? Would this void a warranty in any way? If I can upgrade on my own, is there any difference between 3GB with 1x2GB, 1x1GB and 3GB of 3x3GB (which I would assume it would be if I were to upgrade on my own later)?

Next, I am a college student, so I am looking for a notebook that can run multiple internet windows, music, and a word processor at the same time, would this notebook be able to handle this (assuming I got 2GB of memory)? And would the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB SDRAM be able to play casual games such as the Sims 2 and WoW without problems? Thanks!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    @ thundercleetz: Not sure about the RAM question, but based on what you said you want to be doing with it, 2 GB is more than enough. I say more because I have an Intel Celeron 1.8 GHz with 256 MB RAM and I do the same, sometimes more (although not exaclty speedy), so I'd definately say you'd have no problems.

As for games - should be no problems with the Sims 2 or WoW, or many others really.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Thanks for the reply. I just saw the new line of MacBooks and man are they ever a good deal. About $1500 for a MacBook CD2 2GHz with 2GB RAM and a 160GB HDD (student discount)! I prefer the size of the 13.3-inch screen over the 15-inch screen of the MBP. One question though, if I get the normal MacBook with 2GB of RAM, could it play Sims 2 with its Intel GMA 950? I know integrated graphics feed off RAM, so I figure if I get the 2GB I might be able to play Sims 2. Sims 2 is the only game I would need my notebook to play.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Anyone know if you can play Command and Conquer Generals on MacBooks? I'd assume you can as it's a few years old...just wondering...even though I really shouldn't be playing games since I just got a job. But hey now that I'm going to have a new toy, I can't resist. Oh and how about UT 2004?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I want a MacBook so badly, but I too am waiting for an update. I have cash in hand right now. Cash! But I know if I don't wait until MacWorld, or hopefully sooner, than I'll regret it.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GogDog

I want a MacBook so badly, but I too am waiting for an update. I have cash in hand right now. Cash! But I know if I don't wait until MacWorld, or hopefully sooner, than I'll regret it.

The MacBooks and MacBook Pros have both just recently been updated. Now is the perfect time to buy. They probably will not be updated for at least 4-6 months.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Um, yeah. As stated above, they have been updated.

You need one, get one. You don't? You're going to be waiting until the April-May 2007 timeframe. See this thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GogDog

• Reply 17 of 20
    Wow, when did this happen, and how did I miss it? It had to have happened this past week, right?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

I'm guessing the next Macbook update will conincide with Santa Rosa and the GMA X3000. But perhaps not as Santa Rosa is kinda far off...

Yah...last week so I was completely wrong.

Vinea
  • Reply 19 of 20
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i am buying my wife a macbook for christmas, my quandry is what to get myself?

other than screen size what major differences are there in the mb and mbp. the most i will do with it other than simple stuff is importing video and making my own family dvd's

is having the express slot a big deal. perhaps you can give me pros and cons for buying a macbook now or waiting for mbp upgrade after january. upstairs i have a g3 strawberry 450 and my wife a .9 ibook g4

i just am salivating over getting rid of this dell pos.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER

other than screen size what major differences are there in the mb and mbp. the most i will do with it other than simple stuff is importing video and making my own family dvd's

is having the express slot a big deal. perhaps you can give me pros and cons for buying a macbook now or waiting for mbp upgrade after january. upstairs i have a g3 strawberry 450 and my wife a .9 ibook g4

i just am salivating over getting rid of this dell pos.

The MBP has a better GPU but it doesn't sound like you'll need it so go for the Macbook.