MainMenu broke my computer - can't even get the hard disk recognized

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I downloaded the program MainMenu (recommended on macnn.com) and I ran the first maintenance task. Now, not only will my operating system not launch, the hard drive is not even recognized when I try and reinstall the OS or run any other disk repair programs. Does anyone have some suggestions? I am using a Powerbook G4 Titanium that was running Mac OS 10.4.8.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I'd like to add that I now believe my hard drive is hosed but I'd like some confirmation. When I ran System Profiler from the OS install DVD, there is "No information found" under the Serial-ATA tab. As well, I think the hard drive may be making some funky noises though I'm not sure about that.

Can the the running of MainMenu and this problem actually be related or is just an unlikely coincidence?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Does anyone have any ideas? I'm really desparate and don't want to pay for a replacement drive if I don't have to.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,341moderator
    It's unlikely that the software would do that. The maintenance scripts just run the scripts that come with your system. What more likely happened is that the software ran some intensive disk action such as rebuilding the locate database and the drive messed up. Hard drives can die at any time.

If it's not showing up in Disk Utility and it's making a funny noise then I'd say the drive is broken and you need a new one.