Microsoft first to bat with direct-to-television movie downloads

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Microsoft Corp. said Monday it will begin selling television and movie downloads through its Xbox Live service later this month, beating rival Apple Computer to the punch as the first major player to offer a direct-to-television movie download experience.

The Redmond, Wash.-based software giant said it plans to offer over 1,000 hours of content by the end of the year, beginning Nov. 22 with standard and high-definition films such as "Mission Impossible III" and "Jackass: The Movie" from Paramount Pictures, as well as "Superman Returns" and "Batman Forever" from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

Television shows will include CBS's "Survivor," VH1's "Hogan Knows Best" and COMEDY CENTRAL's "Chappelle's Show."

Unlike Apple's iTunes, which charges customers a flat fee to own movies they download, Microsoft's Xbox live will only offer film downloads for rent. Customers will have a window period of two weeks from the time they first purchase films to they expire. However, once a customer begins watching a flick, they'll have only 24 hours to finish.

TV shows downloads will function similar to Apple's iTunes, with customers being charged a flat fee for a single download which they can watch repeatedly.

Although Microsoft claims it has approximately 4 million subscribers to Xbox Live, the new video download service is only compatible with newer Xbox 360 gaming consoles with the 20GB hard disk attachment, requiring a total purchase of $399.

Apple will begin offering direct-to-television video downloads early next year through its existing iTunes service and a device called iTV -- the codename for its wireless media set-top box projected to go on sale for $299 by the end of the first quarter.

Microsoft's has yet to announce its movie pricing structure. Apple's iTunes service charges $12.99 for new releases pre-ordered during their first week of availability, and $14.99 thereafter. Library titles cost just $9.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    What? You mean Microsoft bundled thier (media) browser with thier (gaming) operating system?

Oh man, where did they ever get that idea? \
  • Reply 2 of 124
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Okay is it just me or is this idea pretty lame? Most people who have an xBox will already have a tv they can watch well duh television on and unless the xBox comes with some encrypted software that does not allow DVD movie play back what's the point of renting a movie you download to watch on your television? It just makes no sense that you will be downloading tv/movies on a gaming console connected to your tv to watch on your television. Is it just me or is that a little redundant?
  • Reply 3 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Okay is it just me or is this idea pretty lame? Most people who have an xBox will already have a tv they can watch well duh television on and unless the xBox comes with some encrypted software that does not allow DVD movie play back what's the point of renting a movie you download to watch on your television? It just makes no sense that you will be downloading tv/movies on a gaming console connected to your tv to watch on your television. Is it just me or is that a little redundant?

Indeed. What is the point of iTV, then?
  • Reply 4 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

To browse your digital hub on a television. I will for one make use of iTV to share my photos with. But you could also use to play music and other videos (presumably from Google). If iTV has the bandwith I will use to browse my music library that's close to 200GBs (yes they are all my albums). So iTV and this new scheme Microsoft is trying to get people to buy into is just a load of shite if you as me.
  • Reply 5 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

It means more competition for the poor cable companies. They've got to deal with telephone companies offering TV, Microsoft, Apple, and other convergence solutions (slingbox and similar.)

I think the real discussion is how Microsoft is able to get away with becoming a hardware company all of a sudden, like Apple, without too antitrust lawsuits to operate.

I expect Apple and Microsoft to lead and to buy up most of these technologies, (and Comcast will hire more software developers) but basically Apple and Microsoft. Until others are able to copy what they did, but by then Apple and Microsoft will be innovating in other areas.
  • Reply 6 of 124
    I dunno guys, it sounds to me like Microsoft's solution is a whole lot better than Apple's, at least for someone like me. $300 for an iTV when for a little more I can get an XBox 360 that will handle the same thing and allow me to rent movies? Obviously we'll have to see how the services compare after they are released, but as much as I love Apple products, they aren't reaching me with this one. I think owning movies is stupid (for me, I'm not saying anything about the merits of owning movies for you), since I rarely like to watch anything more than once, twice if it's good.
  • Reply 7 of 124
    Quote:

2 answers, for TV: skip the price of cable, still enjoy your favorite shows. For Movies: skip the trip to the video store. Microsoft's plan is what I have been looking for. Plus if it's on the XBox, which is already connected to the TV, I don't have to worry about any connection problems, LAN bandwidth issues (I'm looking at YOU iTV), turning my MBP on (not an issue for people with desktops, but I don't own a desktop computer) just to watch a movie, etc., etc.
  • Reply 8 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

2 answers, for TV: skip the price of cable, still enjoy your favorite shows. For Movies: skip the trip to the video store. Microsoft's plan is what I have been looking for. Plus if it's on the XBox, which is already connected to the TV, I don't have to worry about any connection problems, LAN bandwidth issues (I'm looking at YOU iTV), turning my MBP on (not an issue for people with desktops, but I don't own a desktop computer) just to watch a movie, etc., etc.

I still don't get it. Why not just get an iPod and hook it up to your tv? More variety on iTunes. Besides NetFlix saves the hassle of going to the video store
  • Reply 9 of 124
    HAH! Those here arguing about WallMart going beserk about movie studios going direct-to-consumer via iTunes Store, eat your heart out...! muah ahah ahha hhah hah. The other shoe has fallen, to horribly misuse some form of that metaphor...

Bloody Paramount and WB, they should be offering movies on iTunes Store by now!!! They're betting the active user base of XBOX360 will be renting lots of movies from them, and/or they don't like the discussions they've had with Apple, and/or they don't like doing what Disney is doing, and/or Microsoft is throwing more money at them, making XBOX360, XBOXLIVE, and XBOX movie renting more and more of a loss leader (ie. Microsoft is making more and more loss on the XBOX360 and these associated services at teh end of the day).

Hmmmmmm...... Fascinating, no?
  • Reply 10 of 124
    Quote:

I still don't get it. Why not just get an iPod and hook it up to your tv? More variety on iTunes. Besides NetFlix saves the hassle of going to the video store

Hassle and cost. I'd have to buy a video iPod (I confess I'm planning to anyway in Jan., but let's pretend we're looking to see which solution is better for most consumers), buy a connector cable, then download my movies twice (once to my MBP, another to my iPod), before I can even begin watching a movie. Also, I'd still have to go wherever my computer is (again, I have a laptop, so I just connect my computer directly to the computer and skip the iPod, but many people don't have that option), I couldn't just stay in my living room like I could if I went with the XBox solution.

You're right, there is a lot more variety on iTunes, but how long will that last? (I'm not looking to solve my downloadable movie problem for at least 4 or 5 months, so I plan to sit back and wait). My guess is that a lot of studios will be more willing to work with Microsoft if they are more flexible on pricing, and we already know they are flexible on rentals, since that's what this service is.

Netflix saves me the hassle of the video store, but annoys me with a monthly fee that makes it more expensive than the video store for the number of movies I want to watch at home in an average month. Also, I'm not the kind of guy who knows when or what movie I'll want to watch. I only know when the night arrives that it's time for a movie and what I'm in the mood for. I'd love to support Apple in this, since I think by and large they make WAY better products than MS, but for consumers like me, MS's solution is looking a LOT better this time.

Final point, in case you didn't catch it, MS isn't wasting time with a lame 640 x 480 resolution for movies, they're going HD right off the bat. Face it, MS's solution is just going to be better for a lot of consumers, assuming a lot of consumers are similar to me. I like on demand movies from Comcast, but I hate how slowly they respond to rewind and play commands. Hopefully XBox movies will improve on this.
  • Reply 11 of 124
    Why not just get Netflix? All you're doing is "renting" the movies through this service anyway? And only 24 hours to watch it? Sounds kind of strict to me.
  • Reply 12 of 124
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

TV episodes are still flat-fee, so not much has changed. It really depends on what you are paying, but buying flat-fee for TV episodes means you don't need to buy a whole lot before it's more expensive than paying for cable. It's good if you don't watch much, but a very bad choice if you do. It may be good if you have no family or a small family, but the larger the household, the more untenable it gets. As it is, a one month multipass for one show from iTunes costs more than I pay for a whole satellite channel in one year.
  • Reply 13 of 124
    Trying to convince people to buy an xbox for use it as the central piece of their entertainment center using " hd 24 hours rent " its silly.

Come on, u buy an xbox cause u want to PLAY!!!!!

For media center we will have iTV, but let the xbox perform what it was designed best.

Its not a bad idea but lacks a lot of key features.

. Lacks of Hard disk size ( LAME 20 gigs + extra cost )

. Probably will lack of a simple to use browsing interface as Front Row (who knows what they will come up)

. Lacks of an echosystem, nothing better than iPod + iTunes and soon iTV ?

. With iTV I will be able to browse almost or all my media inside my comp, easy and painless and then use the xbox to kill noobs.

. Service only compatible with new Xbox 360! wth/lmao. So how they plan to sell millions of xboxes to try to catch iTunes store in sales.

Microsoft will bite the dust!

Please feel free to add more shortcomings to my list, i know theres more
  • Reply 14 of 124
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by staylor007

Why not just get Netflix? All you're doing is "renting" the movies through this service anyway? And only 24 hours to watch it? Sounds kind of strict to me.

Because as mentioned above, with Netflix you pay a monthly fee and you never know which movie in your que you will be getting..

Personally I think this is a great idea for iTunes... I have no desire to purchase movies.. I'd love the ability to pay a couple of bucks to rent a movie for a 24 hour period.

BTW: You have 24 hours to finish the movie once you begin watching it, but you have two weeks to actually begin viewing it. Fair enough IMO.
  • Reply 15 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

with Netflix you pay a monthly fee and you never know which movie in your que you will be getting..

That's not hard, just look up the queue on the site.
  • Reply 16 of 124
    I gotta say, Microsoft did a really smart thing here.

Why would anyone pony up $300 for an iTV to stream their standard definition Disney movies to their HDTV when they could invest that money into an xBox 360, assuming they don't already have one, which can do that and a whole lot more? My 360 is already connected to my HDTV. The ability to rent HD-quality films isn't something Apple could give me even if it DID spend $300 for their pretty little white box. And with the use of Connect360, I can already stream my music and photos to my xBox 360.

I think Microsoft just rendered the iTV irrelevant.
  • Reply 17 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer

The ability to rent HD-quality films isn't something Apple could give me even if it DID spend $300 for their pretty little white box.

You do have a point.

I think Apple could rent movies, HD or SD, but that doesn't seem to be what they want to do.
  • Reply 18 of 124
    Quote:

You're kidding right? xBox appeals to mainly teenagers to young adults. Not to mention primarily the male population.

You think my father will want to get an xBox? Nope! Does he want an iTV? He will be first in line and has told me as such.

My point? iTV has as much widespread appeal as the iPod. A product for any generation.

Not to mention if all you get is a 20GB drive for the xBox and expensive add ons and you are renting your movies....how does that compete with with the iTV which broadcasts from you Mac (basicly unlimited storage as long as you buy the drives to suppport your collections) and movies you will actually own?
  • Reply 19 of 124
    Quote:

The ability to rent HD-quality films isn't something Apple could give me even if it DID spend $300 for their pretty little white box.

Personally I like to own the physical DVD but as the xServe RAID gets cheaper and cheaper with more and more storage I plan on buying one fully stocked and will download my entire movie collection (decently sized at over 300 movies) in as best as qualty as you can get. Then with iTV, at any given moment I could watch any movie whenever I want and not worry about paying a rental fee.
  • Reply 20 of 124
    No more iTV for me. I own a 360 (and I'm going to buy a Japanese 360 soon as well) and I'm more comfortable with the Xbox's plan (I'm more of a videogame fan than an Apple fan, though).