Lack of IT talent:Chicken or the Egg?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...NT.xml&src=rss

Is this because college students lack of interest in going into IT and therefore companies have to outsource to find qualified employees, or because they figure what's the point if all the IT jobs they might get after graduating are being outsourced to the lower wage countries? \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Companies outsource to cut costs. They don't outsource to find qualified employees. Now that it has been proven that outsourcing works to some extent, companies will continue to outsource IT at the cost of local labor. The students are smart. They see a similarity between the globalisation of IT to the globalisation of manufacturing that happened a few decades ago.

The saving of a few million you might get as ROI by outsourcing can also be obtained by cutting the fat at the CEO and the executive levels of the organization. But, thats another topic by itself.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101

Companies outsource to cut costs. They don't outsource to find qualified employees. Now that it has been proven that outsourcing works to some extent, companies will continue to outsource IT at the cost of local labor. The students are smart. They see a similarity between the globalisation of IT to the globalisation of manufacturing that happened a few decades ago.

The saving of a few million you might get as ROI by outsourcing can also be obtained by cutting the fat at the CEO and the executive levels of the organization. But, thats another topic by itself.

Exactamundo. I'm so freaking sick of CEOs saying they can't find qualified help here so they have to outsource. It all started in the 90's when they did have to bring in 12b1 visa folks to fill the demand leading up to the Dot Com bubble. Then they found they could pay 'em less than domestic engineers. Same thing is going on in construction with illeagal Mexican workers. Greed is killing American domestic jobs.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I kinda hate how "computer scientist" and "IT professional" are mixed like they are the same thing. They are not. Where I work we have software engineers (CS) and "IT" people (windows jockeys) and the two couldn't be more different.

Where I work...

The software engineers create the code base that's needed to manage complex calculations that dispatch to a heterogeneous multiprocessor environment via a platform independent web based system the they created.

The IT people keep the windows computers running.

I think Gates is talking about IT people.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo

I kinda hate how "computer scientist" and "IT professional" are mixed like they are the same thing. They are not. Where I work we have software engineers (CS) and "IT" people (windows jockeys) and the two couldn't be more different.

Where I work...

The software engineers create the code base that's needed to manage complex calculations that dispatch to a heterogeneous multiprocessor environment via a platform independent web based system the they created.

The IT people keep the windows computers running.

I think Gates is talking about IT people.

Sorry, Didn't mean to mix professions. The point I was trying to make was that big companies are now crying about a situation they created because they really want to hire the cheapest labor possible, but blame outsourcing on too few Americans being qualified. I still remember hearing stories from software engineers in Silicon Valley who had lots of skills and experience but couldn't get jobs, all the while big companies like Oracle were pounding on Congress to increase the number of 12B1 Visas to bring in more folks from India. Now they just hire people in their native country even cheaper. Why would a college student consider spending his/her time getting a degree in a profession where the companies to work for behave like this?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak

Sorry, Didn't mean to mix professions. ...

Oh I didn't mean you. I meant Gates et. al.