NY Times Zune Article

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Trying Out the Zune: IPod It’s Not

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/09/te...ref=technology

Excerpt:

The Zune offers some niceties you can’t get on the iPod. For example, any photo can be the menu background. Album artwork automatically fills the entire screen during playback. You can “flag” any song or photo for future reference on your PC. You can plug the Zune into an Xbox 360 and use its controller to play what’s on your Zune through your entertainment system.

But the opposite list — features the iPod has that the Zune doesn’t — could stretch to Steve Ballmer’s house and back 10 times.

At the very attractive but dog-slow Zune store, for example, you can either buy songs ($1 each) or rent them (unlimited songs for $15 a month). But Microsoft’s store doesn’t sell TV shows, movies or audio books. The music catalog is much smaller — 2 million vs. 3.5 million on iTunes — a fact that Microsoft ham-handedly tries to conceal by listing stuff that it doesn’t actually sell, like Beatles albums.

The Zune store is also missing gift certificates, allowances, user-submitted playlists and so on. And believe it or not, the Zune store doesn’t let you subscribe or download podcasts. (Maybe Microsoft just couldn’t bring itself to type the word “pod.”)

The Zune 1.0 player is pretty barren, too. It doesn’t have a single standard iPod amenity: no games, alarm clock, stopwatch, world clock, password-protected volume limiter, equalizer, calendar, address book or notes module.

Incredibly, you can’t even use the Zune as an external hard drive, as you can with just about every other player on earth — an extremely handy option for carting around big computer files.

Naturally, you also miss out on the 3,000 iPod accessories: speaker systems, microphones, cases, home and auto adapters, remote controls and so on. Over 80 percent of 2007 cars will have an iPod connector option — zero for Zune. And there’s only one Zune model; there’s no equivalent of the iPod Nano or Shuffle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Brilliant article. The only thing I disagree with is when Pogue knocks the iPod form factor. I think it's the best there is.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I hope no one says "a child has to learn to walk before they can run"....
  • Reply 3 of 17
    ouch!!!

That has to hurt...for Microsoft that is.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    wow its good to hear the truth finally.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    love it. i realy like the way american column writers put things. i realy hope M$ make right idiots out of themselves. ooo, i can see it now, bill gates and co. giving the demo, then a blue screen turns up or it crashes and he has to restart it/get the back-up, then that fails aswell. i would love that... and ive just realised that its out on tuesday. mwahahahahahaaa... its on its way folks.... get ready to laugh!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Wow I'm pretty surprised the zune can't be used as an external drive...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Wow I'm pretty surprised the zune can't be used as an external drive...

haha yeh, thats what ipods are for!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I really wish we could see some straight up zune reviews, alot say it is really good, and alot says it is really bad. ( like that article ) I just want to see a true review....

go read Bill's comments on the article.

ZuneGuy

lol I love what he says about accessories ( he is the accessories guy ).

hopefully when I get my hands on one I can do my own review.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    haha people are reporting that they cant install the zune software, and that it keeps looking for updates. ah, good old M$, always buggering things up
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

haha people are reporting that they cant install the zune software, and that it keeps looking for updates. ah, good old M$, always buggering things up

Zune Software

it is pretty laggy, and takes a while to install. ( I think they previously didn't have the marketplace up, but it is up now )

then again, itunes 7 is laggy on my computer, so it may just be time for an upgrade.

( core 2 duo macbook ftw!)
  • Reply 12 of 17
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Does anyone know if Zune's dock connector is the same as Apple's??
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.

Does anyone know if Zune's dock connector is the same as Apple's??

Zune Dock

Apple Dock

only difference is the Zune dock has a slot for the remote as well. ( sold separately)

• Reply 14 of 17
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woody56292

Zune Dock

Apple Dock

only difference is the Zune dock has a slot for the remote as well. ( sold separately)

Thanks for replying. I miswrote. I was referring to whether or not the iPod and Zune could share the same cable connector. Do many iPod accessories (e.g., car chargers) also work with Zunes??

Thanks

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.

Thanks for replying. I miswrote. I was referring to whether or not the iPod and Zune could share the same cable connector. Do many iPod accessories (e.g., car chargers) also work with Zunes??

Thanks

Dave

possibly...??

they look like the same jack so it might be possible.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

Uh... Woody, I think he's referring to the dock connector. And I think the answer is definitely no.

oops I am slow.

yeah you are right, both docks have the proprietary jacks and won't work with each other.