12" powerbook/airport express problem?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all. I have a 12" 1.5 ghz powerbook and my apple warranty runs out tomorrow.

I took the powerbook up to the apple store genius bar last week because I thought it had very poor wireless range.

I have an airport express in my house, and from only 25 feet away, it has no bars. I have to actually be in the same room less then 10' away to even get three bars. The airport express is over 40 feet away from this imac I am noe using, and I have 3 bars.

They replaced the airport card, and did some diagnostics on it, but it did not seem to improve at all. I called applecare, and they said that if I was not happy, just go back to the applestore and see what they could do.

Now this is my son's powerbook, and he says that at his girlfriend's house where they have a windows set-up and wireless network, his powerbook seems to be stronger. It seems that I should be able to get a good signal from anywhere in my house.......to have to be in the same room to get a signal is just wrong.

My question...... Should I drive all the way back to the apple store and see what they can do, before tomorrow? I do not think they will do much more. Should I get rid of my airport express and get a "better" wireless router? I thought the airport express was supposed to be good....are there stronger ones?

I'm just not sure if this is the best I could expect from a 12" powerbook. My other son has an older 12" powerbook, and I believe that his is a little better then this newer powerbook. After tomorrow, apple will not do anything, unless I pay for applecare......I do not think I want to spend $249 for applecare, when I bought this used for only $750....it will be one year old tomorrow.

thank you in advance for your help.

Frank D.