Watching tv on my mbp and 24" dell monitor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a setup where I have a mbp running through a DVI cable to a 24" dell monitor.

How can I make it so that I can watch tv on the 24" dell monitor alone, or if necessary run it through the mbp as well (but i would prefer to do it only through the monitor)

There are lots of ports on the back of the monitor ( I can't find the paperwork for it so i can't tell you what they all are) I think one is s-video and it has all of the ports so that something like a playstation could plug into it

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Your Dell should support several inputs such as component, S-Video and composite video. If you connect a video signal to it from your TV tuner, you will need to connect the audio to your speakers' aux. input. I have a Hi-Def DirecTV receiver running into my 21" Gateway that way.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    You can use just about any video source device with that display, but it has no built-in tuner so you can't just hook up an antenna like you would with a TV. To watch TV, you need to hook up a VCR or PVR as a TV tuner, or plug in a satellite or cable box for video through a subscription service.

If you live in a country with ATSC TV, I suggest considering the eyeTV Hybrid, it's an analog, digital & HD digital tuner and PVR, in a USB stick, though it needs the host computer to be on to work. You can even use your Apple Remote to control the little thing.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley

Your Dell should support several inputs such as component, S-Video and composite video. If you connect a video signal to it from your TV tuner, you will need to connect the audio to your speakers' aux. input. I have a Hi-Def DirecTV receiver running into my 21" Gateway that way.

Could you please tell me exactly how to do this. I have HDdirecttv in my home and would love to play it on this monitor.

1. Get a another directTV receiver box (the same one that I use for my tv)

2. Plug in the receiver to the monitor using a cable (what cable would I need)

3. Enjoy?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 4
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    My H10 receiver is connected to the Gateway via component cables. I have a y-splitter cable running into the aux. in jack on my Creative GigaWorks T20 speakers. Although it says it won't work in the manual, I can run a 16:9 720P or 1080i signal in the PIP window when the main display is running in DVI. The PIP won't accept a Hi-Def signal when the main display is running in VGA.