Question about networking-WiFi, N, wired?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I got my first MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago. Later this year/early next year I will be getting a Mac Pro. I have a Windows XP network currently though that is partially wired since I have two desktops and a couple LAN printers and as well I have 2 desktops. With N networking I know I will be upgrading my wi-fi sometime next year and as well eventually would like to put a hub in that is gigabit ethernet. For now I just have a Linksys Ethernet hub for the wired part and a Linksys Wireless Access Point for the wi-fi.

What hardware do most Mac people use? It doesn't seem like Apple makes any wired/ethernet solutions but does make the Airport and Airport Express. Do most people use these Apple solutions or is there another good brand to go with? I like how the Airport has the USB connector since I have one USB printer but as well I know if I use that for the printer then I assume the printer won't be available on the wired part of the network. As well, maybe this won't be a concern with N networking but my main computer and printers are in the basement, the other computers and laptops on the main level and I know with the current wi-fi the signal is weak in the basement so it's the possibility I'd need two airports or maybe an Airport and Airport express unless N solves this problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10

I got my first MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago. Later this year/early next year I will be getting a Mac Pro. I have a Windows XP network currently though that is partially wired since I have two desktops and a couple LAN printers and as well I have 2 desktops. With N networking I know I will be upgrading my wi-fi sometime next year and as well eventually would like to put a hub in that is gigabit ethernet. For now I just have a Linksys Ethernet hub for the wired part and a Linksys Wireless Access Point for the wi-fi.

What hardware do most Mac people use? It doesn't seem like Apple makes any wired/ethernet solutions but does make the Airport and Airport Express. Do most people use these Apple solutions or is there another good brand to go with? I like how the Airport has the USB connector since I have one USB printer but as well I know if I use that for the printer then I assume the printer won't be available on the wired part of the network. As well, maybe this won't be a concern with N networking but my main computer and printers are in the basement, the other computers and laptops on the main level and I know with the current wi-fi the signal is weak in the basement so it's the possibility I'd need two airports or maybe an Airport and Airport express unless N solves this problem.

For wired, brand switch will do, I have D-Link, Linksys and some commercial grade managed switch, they all worked fine. For wireless, I've used Linksys and Buffalo with good results. Apple's Airport access point is simply too expensive for me, I can pick up several spares for the price of one of those things. I don't have any pre-n stuff. If pre-n is important, either wait for an Apple brand device or buy a device that uses the same brand chips as what's in the latest Apple products that use pre-n chips.