Apple hasn't ditched 'Mac guy', actor says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer is still contracting actor Justin Long to play the "Mac guy" in a series of upcoming Mac holiday ads and is paying him handsomely for his services, the actor wrote in a blog posting on his website Monday.

"As for the Mac commercials, I don't know where that report came from that said i wasn't going to do anymore," Long wrote. "[I'm] literally setting my alarm right now to wake up for a Mac shoot tomorrow. If I'm not doing anymore I guess I can sleep in on my day off --that'd be nice."

He was referring to a report published on RadarOnline last week, which cited an unnamed representative for the actor in saying that his days as Apple's 'Mac guy' were over.

"Every ad you see Justin in is for that previous time period only. There's no long-term deal with him," the rep purportedly said. "Justin's a movie star, not a commercial guy."

In his blog posting Monday, Long said he continues to film some new "holiday spots" for Apple which he thinks "will be pretty funny" but "not nearly funny enough to justifiy the money they're paying me though."

"They're easy to do," he said of the ads. "I love John (the PC guy) and working with him is so effortless and fun that I definitely wouldn't rule out doing some more -- and, as I said, they pay us nicely."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In his blog posting Monday, Long said he continues to film some new "holiday spots" for Apple which he thinks "will be pretty funny" but "not nearly funny enough to justifiy the money they're paying me though."

"They're easy to do," he said of the ads. "I love John (the PC guy) and working with him is so effortless and fun that I definitely wouldn't rule out doing some more -- and, as I said, they pay us nicely."

Whuut?

Dude, money is money. "A man's gotta eat".

Stop complaining!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo

Whuut?

Stop complaining!

Given that Macs are now often cheaper than equivalent PCs does that mean Justin gets paid less than John?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    "the actor wrote in a blog posting on his website Monday."

I bet. He's probably just saying it
  • Reply 4 of 18
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jadams

Given that Macs are now often cheaper than equivalent PCs does that mean Justin gets paid less than John?

I'm glad he's staying in the ads... I like the camaraderie that the 2 of them have....
  • Reply 5 of 18
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    I think he was saying it (typing it?)
  • Reply 6 of 18
    I love the way that John and Justin do the comericals. So simple to understand, and yes the camaraderie they have is great. In my mind hes linked to mac. Having someone else would be a shame. And I wonder just how much he gets paid...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo

Whuut?

Stop complaining!

I think he was doing the opposite of complaining.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    i think it's not very wise to say "HEY apple, I think you're paying me real nicely"

maybe he's saying the truth, but you'll never get a raise if you say "my work... actually, it doesn't justify the money they're paying me though"
  • Reply 9 of 18
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    It appears he hasn't heard of paragraphs - look at his blog!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Dude, Do me any emplyee that says that we pay him more than enough...

And, well, he should stay at Apple anyway.

Love him and love the commercials, it really represents my thoughts of PC's

OLD, FAT, NOT attractive, NOT too clever, rather ENOYING most of the time, etc!

Sorry, couldn't resist the capslock for once.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    This guy needs to learn to use captials when starting his sentences. But he's a pretty funny dude from the movies I've seen him in.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Well, they're still doing the PC/Mac in Japan...

http://www.apple.com/jp/

Good for him clearing up the rumors that tend to be unfounded lately on the Intertubes.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Was this the guy on Herbie Fully loaded?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    I love that Apple guy. He was hilarious in Dodgeball.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Just a clue here... he's not really a computer...
  • Reply 16 of 18
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    The cool thing about the ads is that the Mac and PC are both smug little nerd friends, one being only somewhat more charismatic and sociable.

And I think it's essential that the ad leaves room for feeling more sympathy for the PC guy.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    This is a pretty funny thread. The rumor that he was canned led to 99% anti-mac guy comments, and this one is pretty much all pro-macguy (except for his poor grammar). Kind of similar to the Intel rumors a little over a year ago when everyone said that Intel was evil, and AMD should be the next mac supplier, and now Intel kicks ass and AMD is second rate in comparison. ALL HAIL JOBS! for creating such a wonderful army of loyal fanboys. The only thing i'm wondering is if someone could please make a firefox plug-in to filter out fanboy forum posts? Would save everyone lots of time.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

This is a pretty funny thread. The rumor that he was canned led to 99% anti-mac guy comments, and this one is pretty much all pro-macguy (except for his poor grammar). Kind of similar to the Intel rumors a little over a year ago when everyone said that Intel was evil, and AMD should be the next mac supplier, and now Intel kicks ass and AMD is second rate in comparison. ALL HAIL JOBS! for creating such a wonderful army of loyal fanboys. The only thing i'm wondering is if someone could please make a firefox plug-in to filter out fanboy forum posts? Would save everyone lots of time.

fun fact: you dont need a firefox plug in. usually if the site is called "applesomething" it will be pro-mac and anti pc.