TV Tuner help for 24" iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all -

Since my iMac is in my bedroom I want to watch tv on it. I have looked at a few of the eyetv things - but it all gets a bit confusing. I want to be able to hook up a cable box if need be to get HD programming - I have comcast in my area. ONe of the midlia devices seemed right... But I am not sure. Any help? I dont really care if it can do DVR stuff or not. I just want to be able to hook up through at least component instead of coax...

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Get the EyeTV Hybrid. It's $149 from the Elgato store and you can plug in digital cable or analog cable. The picture quality is pretty decent, even blown up to full screen on the 24" iMac. You can even control it using the Apple Remote in full screen mode.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I agree.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Bought the hybrid - playing with it now actually - its really cool!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeper

Bought the hybrid - playing with it now actually - its really cool!

Wow, that was quick. It's a nice product though the software can be a bit flaky. The A/V input adapter doesn't always work right for me.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Havent hooked it up to ta cable box yet - just havent had time. I actually just walked into the Apple store - they have them in back
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Wow, that was quick. It's a nice product though the software can be a bit flaky. The A/V input adapter doesn't always work right for me.

Yeah, the A/V input was spotty the time I tested with my PS2 but as for the cable tuner, I've never had a problem with the quality. The program is pretty strong too, it's just that there are a TON of keyboard shortcuts to try and memorize. One thing I do like about the app is the way it displays information from TitanTV, as I hate the layout of their site. The app handles all that quite nicely.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeper

Havent hooked it up to ta cable box yet - just havent had time. I actually just walked into the Apple store - they have them in back

My Apple store had three out where the computer accessories were. I was pretty surprised.