Apple teams with six major airlines to Deliver iPod Integration

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer said Tuesday it is teaming up with Air France, Continental, Delta, Emirates, KLM and United to deliver the first seamless integration between iPod and in-flight entertainment systems.

The six airlines will begin offering their passengers iPod seat connections which power and charge iPods during flight and allow the video content on their iPods to be viewed on seat back displays.

"There is no better traveling companion than an iPod, and now travelers can power their iPods during flight and even watch their iPod movies and TV shows on their seat back displays," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing.

"We're excited to work with Air France, Continental, Delta, Emirates, KLM and United to offer iPod users an even better in-flight experience."

The in-flight iPod connectivity will be available to passengers beginning in mid 2007. Additionally, Apple said it is working with Panasonic Avionics Corporation to bring even more leading airlines in-flight iPod connectivity in the future.

In a press release, the Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple said its iPod ecosystem continues to flourish with more than 3,000 accessories made specifically for the players, ranging from fashionable cases to speaker systems. In addition, more than 70 percent of 2007-model US automobiles currently offer iPod connectivity.

Thus far, Apple has sold nearly 70 million iPods, making it the world's most popular digital music and portable video player. Similarly, the iTunes Store is the number one online music store with over 1.5 billion songs purchased and downloaded worldwide.

iTunes Store customers can shop a catalog that includes 3.5 million songs, 65,000 podcasts, 20,000 audiobooks, 5,000 music videos, 250 television shows and over 100 movies from Walt Disney Pictures, Pixar, Touchstone Pictures and Miramax Films.

In October, Apple also began selling a $59 MagSafe Airline Power Adapter that plugs it into an airline seat power port, allowing its MacBook or MacBook Pro notebooksto maintain power for the full duration of a flight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    I wish AA, world's largest airline, were in this first group of airlines using iPod integration.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    why is this worth the money spent, exactly? It does not seem like it adds any value to the customer (if you want to listen to your ipod, just take it out of your pocket and listen to it).
  • Reply 3 of 34
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jedd88

I wish AA, world's largest airline, were in this first group of airlines using iPod integration.

Quote:

Additionally, Apple is working with Panasonic Avionics Corporation to bring even more leading airlines in-flight iPod connectivity in the future.

It'll happen. Give it time.

Wish Lufthansa was on the first batch, though.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

why is this worth the money spent, exactly? It does not seem like it adds any value to the customer (if you want to listen to your ipod, just take it out of your pocket and listen to it).

Charging it out of thin air?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    The most expensive iPod acessory yet; an airplane. 8) Now Boeing just needs to add the "Made for iPod" logo on the tail.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    apple is trying to make it so that you can use your ipod anywhere you go with anything that is out there. they are trying to create an ecoysytem that will sustain and be a roadblock to such challenges as the zune. compains that have a relation ship with the ipod and apple will not want to suport the zue i bet
  • Reply 7 of 34
    I guess that's gotta be a business/first class only... Well, OTOH, comfortable flight travel wasn't intended to be available for the masses.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

Think not about music. Think of video. Maybe you could watch something you actually want to watch on a plane... instead of Fantastic Four. This would be good.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    that'd be awesome. the added value w/ video at least is that it really changes the options for inflight movies, and you aren't trapped with bad stations on repeat. Nice to announce that iPods are moving forward with airplane integration on the same day zune is released also.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    qantas and virgin blue ( damn those hostees are hotties) please. Actually why both I dont need my ipod Ive got eye candy
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Awwwww, there, there... look on the bright side, Zune... you come in brown!

-Clive
  • Reply 12 of 34
    OK here's a thought. Now you can keep your iPod charged on flights, which means you could watch a lot of videos right? Well why not have airport kiosks where you could load movies onto your iPod. With the new ability to sync purchased files back to your home computer, it would make sense. The most popular new media files would be on a local server, making the transfer fast and easy. I think that the new transfer feature is going to lead to things most people aren't yet realizing.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    "Airlines" - men flying around like birds.

Yeah right Apple. It's not possible!

Do you think your fans are ignorant or something?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Read also today (Dutch):

http://www.nu.nl/news/885979/54/%27i...tuigen%27.html

Basically, KLM and Air France respond simply: We have talked with them, didn't make an agreement yet and now this is out, it will be even more unlikely that it such an agreement will be made.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    There could be lots of utility here:

1) Charge your iPod while you fly

2) Watch video on a larger display

3) Feed the audio/video to others in your row

4) Buy/download music, movies, audiobooks, tv shows, and games to your iPod

5) BUY an iPod from the flight attendant
  • Reply 16 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five

Awwwww, there, there... look on the bright side, Zune... you come in brown!

-Clive

Please try and keep the threads clean! You have been warned.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    For long flights, watching a movie on your iPod will kill the battery.

Now it won't, instead you can watch what you want on a larger screen.

Second, even more powerful than Apple's DRM is their dock connector.

Once airlines invest in putting an Apple iPod dock connector in they are tied/locked-in to some degree to supporting only iPods.

If you are a business traveler and you see an iPod charging cable available every time you fly, guess what you are going to buy.

Apple is in your home

Apple is in your living-room

Apple is in your car

Apple is in your airplane
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut

There could be lots of utility here:

5) BUY an iPod from the flight attendant

Great idea! and duty free!
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Along comes the video iPod, next up ATM style kiosks in the airport lounges, drop your Ipod on the universal connector and upload your fav. content. Seems a no-brainer to me. But then maybe my brains are history anyhow
  • Reply 20 of 34
    These are great developments for traverlers. I admit I'd never considered being able to plug into the seatback display for video. Someone's thinkin' different.