iChat : crazy behavior in general~

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Okay, so I have an AOL account that I use for work. Once upon a time I selected an icon to represent me during IM's....I could only select from AOL's preset choices.

I also have the AIM client, which I never tried fiddling with to set up a user icon....I only did that in AOL itself.

Now I have iChat, and I proceed to create a new icon for myself. In a chat last night (actually early this AM) The Installer showed me how to change my icon from the generic instant messenger icon to my own custom icon.

THEN, late this morning I was chatting with a friend and my icon suddenly, inexplicably switched to the AOL icon. So, I log out of iChat. I log onto AOL, I go to the prefs and I select "no icon" for myself during IM's.

I log off of AOL and log back into iChat and proceed to have weirdness reign supreme.

Apparently SHE see's my new logo, but in my Buddy List and my Rendezvous List I still see the stupid-ass little generic icon that I had selected from AOL Lo those many years ago.

Reallly weird.

When I log out of iChat it reverts back to my custom icon that I want to use all the time.

Anybody else notice this behavior? Is there a bug report line to Apple for stuff like this?

D

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: drewprops ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Yeah, there is also this bug in the menu bar (that speech bubble pull down) that only makes an alert noise when you select "Buddy List," and doesn't display it.

There is actually quite a few buggy things in iChat. For instance, when replying to a fresh message, it doesn't always show up if you type too fast. If you type two messages in a row real fast, and seamlessly press the Return key and hit another key right after it, it gets all screwed up.

I'm praying some of this stuff gets fixed in 10.2.1.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Stranger yet, AOL IM must harbor old buddy screen names somewhere out in the ether because tonight I saw a screen name for a lady that I haven't worked with for almost six years! I sent her an instant message then followed up with an email, too weird.

&lt;cue the theramin music&gt;

D
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by drewprops:

<strong>...Is there a bug report line to Apple for stuff like this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/"; target="_blank">Feedback</a>