Japanese language frustration!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, here is the deal. I live in Okinawa Japan and I am dating a Japanese girl (she is a computer programmer!). Anyways she doesn't speak english that well so what I wanted to do is to go to babel fish and translate my english into Japanese and email it to her. My browser displays the Japanes charactors and so does my email program. I know that OSX has Japanese built into it and here is what I want to do. I just want to simply copy the Japanese from the translation in my browser into my apple mail program. When I paste it just comes up as garbage. I know there are work a rounds like taking a screen shot and emailing the picture of the text but I really just want to copy and paste it. If anyone knows what the problem is please give me your input.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Solution, try not to use Internet Explorer. I can copy/paste unicode characters like Japanese and Chinese just fine from Mozilla, Chimera, and OmniWeb without having to configure anything. In IE you have to manually define the correct character encoding in IE's View menu before you can copy/paste the text. Sometimes that doesn't even work.

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    So it is an IE problem, hmmmm. Might be just the excuse I need to switch browsers. What is the best alternative to IE? Keep in mind I like the simplicity of IE and the fact that it displays every site I need to go to.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anamelie:

<strong>So it is an IE problem, hmmmm. Might be just the excuse I need to switch browsers. What is the best alternative to IE? Keep in mind I like the simplicity of IE and the fact that it displays every site I need to go to.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, you can't ditch IE for everything, but Mozilla will work for most things. Chimera is based on Mozilla and might be a better solution since its interface is more Mac like. OmniWeb is pretty good for pages that aren't complex.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks for the input. When I get home tonight I will try them all out and see if I like one. I can't wait till a browser comes out that totally replaces IE.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I downloaded Chimera .5 last night and I copy and pasted Japanese text with absolutly no difficulty.

Chimera is a sweet little program. I might make a total switch once version 1.0 comes out. It is nice that they are taking there time and not rushing things. Thanks for all the advice.