Help! Powerbook keyboard doesn't work in particular account

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have two accounts on my Powerbook, and admin and regular user account. Yesterday, the keboard stopped working in the regular account and nothing I've done has fixed the problem.

Interestingly, when I try to open the keyboard preferences in that account, system preferences quits:

Kern_Bad_Access (0x0001)

Kern_Protection_Failure

1. Is there any way that I can move all of my files from this account to the working admin account? I have an appellate brief due in two weeks and I need to work on it.

2. Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Can you maybe put things in a folder accessible to both systems, like "public" or whatever? Or, you could try an external HD. Is the regular account big? You could burn your docs to DVD or CD and transfer them.

I've never heard of this problem before though. Sounds like a nice reinstall might be needed. You've checked all the prefs I take it? Restarted? Reset the PMU?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

Can you maybe put things in a folder accessible to both systems, like "public" or whatever? Or, you could try an external HD. Is the regular account big? You could burn your docs to DVD or CD and transfer them.

Yes. I've put the files that I need in the public folder for now. I've reset the PMU, restarted, and tried to open the keyboard prefs, but system preferences crashes when I try to open it. All other system prefences open fine except keyboard preferences, so there is definitely something wrong in this account.

I have to get an external drive to back up my data before the admin account goes too.

Thanks for the reply.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    wyewye Posts: 5member
    Your keyboard prefs might be corrupted. Use a maintenance utility like Onyx or MainMenu to verify and remove corrupted preferences on that account.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wye

Your keyboard prefs might be corrupted. Use a maintenance utility like Onyx or MainMenu to verify and remove corrupted preferences on that account.

Thanks for the reply.

I can't type my admin password to install programs, and I can't even type program names in versiontracker to download them, but I will try it. The account is totally useless. Is there any way around this?

Also, how do you verify and remove keyboard preferences using these programs?

Luckily this was not my admin account, otherwise, I would have really been in trouble.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda

Thanks for the reply.

Also, how do you verify and remove keyboard preferences using these programs?

I ran MainMenu from the admin program, logged in to the other account, and the keyboard is working again

Thanks for solving this proglem for me. You're a life saver.

BTW:

BEST....FIRST POST....EVER!!!!