MACBOOK travels to Philippines from USA

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello everybody!

I am so glad I found this site. I wanted to introduce myself and say that this is a nice site!

I am living in the USA and will be travelling soon to visit family in the Philippines.

I have a white Macbook, 2GHZ, 80 GB, 1.25 gb RAM, with a superdrive that I am taking with me on the long flight (using the MagSafe Airline Power Adapter , of course)

It is true that I don't have to purchase a converter for the power adapter? (meaning the power supply is automatic when plugging into a Philippine outlet?)

My question is that I have to buy an adapter, right? In our Apple store here in the States, we have the "Apple World Travel Adapter Kit" which lists several countries - but the Philippines is not one of them. They do list Japan and some other Asian countries as being compatible.

If I bring my Magsafe power cord that was included with my Macbook purchase, what else do I need to have with me to make sure I can use my Macbook in the Philippines?

Thank you so much in advance for your replies!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Since the power adapter is 100-240V, you don't need a transformer but you need the plug to connect it in Phillipines.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v1i0mst204.htm

You don't need the world power adapter kit really but if you still want to, you can and it should have the necessary plug. You might be able to go to Radio shack and just pick 1 plug for Phillipines, take the print out of the plug needed from the link above.

I had recently bought one of those universal power plug adapter which has evey country plug built in for $20 from samsonite and I thought that was cool since you can just carry 1 plug adapter that is universal and that way, no matter where you travel, you are covered.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Forgot to include the link of the adapter I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Worl.../dp/B000A8MRIA
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Thanks for the very informative postings and links! I appreciate it.

Here's one more question (might be a "DUH" question, but of course, I wanted to make sure)

Here's the list of countries which the Philippines is part of (taken from the IBM site you gave me):

Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Cayman Islands, Columbia, Costa Rica, Domican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Guayana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Phillipines, Puerto Rico, Saudi Arabia, Suriname, Trinidad, Taiwan, U.S.A., Venezuela

Since Philippines and USA are in the same list, is it safe to assume that no adapter is needed then? (Will the cord(s) that came with the Macbook (2 and 3 prong) work?) OR, is there still a slight difference in the construction of the prongs?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it is very rare that I travel outside the USA. I have been to several countries, but haven't done so in years!!

Regardless, the adapter you told me about is a safe bet for sure!

Thanks in advance....
  • Reply 4 of 7
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    That plug Mr. A linked to looks like a washer/dryer/large appliance type 220V plug, the Philippines uses 220V but with a standard polarized plug, at least according to this site! Not sure if you would need an adaptor or not, the Macbook should have a polarized plug...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Actually I have used this adapter on a lot of things including my old laptop which was Dell but I have not tried this on my new macbook pro since I have not travelled outside since then. Besides this plug, is universal and has nothing to do with voltage, it is just universal plug adapter. Since Phillipines and US are listed same category may be you will not need but I see no harm carrying 1 just in case, you can return it if not used.

in terms of apple macbook pro having special requirements like polarized power adapter and all, I cannot say. I will hate for you to take the risk so hopefully someone else can advise as well. I was just trying to give my opinion to the best of my knowledge.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    As was said before, you need the correct plug adapter. The power brick is universally usable all over the world (50/60 Hz, 100-240V).

I would suggest you buy such a plug adapter in the philippines where they know exactly what you need. At the airport, they usually have some kind of store selling travel things like adapters and stuff.

As it seems, newer US plugs have one end that is a bit thicker than the other. You might check on your power brick if that is the case. If you have two equal plugs, you might not need an adapter at all (as the two smaller plugs will probably fit into the (larger) socket anyway).

P.S. It might be cheaper, though, to buy a standardized cable in the philippines with the same two plugs that you will see inside the MacBook's power brick when you disconnect the plug. Such cables are used around the world for everything from radios to hair clippers to any kind of low-power device (about 5/8" x 5/16" in size, two pins).
  • Reply 7 of 7
    NO guarantees... but....

I've spent some time in hotels in Manilla.... and they all had 110v outlets (identical to USA) in the rooms.