Macbook Pro C2D gets too hot !!!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I have read some posts here about how macbook pro's get too hot and in fact my macbook pro 15 c2d also gets hot so I was deciding if I wanted to try fan control or smc fan control to increase the fan rpm. After an hour of work, it is too hot to be put in lap.

My questions:

1. How many people are using these utilties?

2. Are there any risks to the macbook pro since this is a third party app affecting the built in fan?

3. Could it affect the warranty?

I am little nervous about trying this utility so any advise or your experiences might help me make that decision.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Please have a look at this thread:

Run your MacBook Pro cooler with a simple application.

Read all the posts and select one of the two applications. {"OMG Use Teh Search N00b" isn't permitted here -JL}

To answer your questions:

1. I am and I have yet to read a negetive review or complaint about the software.

2. No. Because these apps are just a front end to a feature that Apple has natively added support for in the latest firmware.

3. No, not at all.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush

Please have a look at this thread:

Run your MacBook Pro cooler with a simple application.

Read all the posts and select one of the two applications. And in future, try using the search feature.

To answer your questions:

1. I am and I have yet to read a negetive review or complaint about the software.

2. No. Because these apps are just a front end to a feature that Apple has natively added support for in the latest firmware.

3. No, not at all.

Yes, I have read this before, thats why I said that I have read various posts before. I always search forums before posting new messages. Why I wanted to start this seperately, is because, I wanted to see how many people are using this.

Thanks for your response.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    This is somewhat surprising to me. Not that I don't know Apple's Pro lines have always ran hot, but that my C2D, even under enormous stress, doesn't become anything more than very warm.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    My 15 inch MBP C2D is much cooler than my old PowerBook G4 15 inch. No heat problems at all, under any conditions.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackwave

Not that I don't know Apple's Pro lines have always ran hot, but that my C2D, even under enormous stress, doesn't become anything more than very warm.

In Canada you already are deep in the winter.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Macbook Pro's Core 2 Duo significantly cooler than their core duo versions:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=338
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by layng

My 15 inch MBP C2D is much cooler than my old PowerBook G4 15 inch. No heat problems at all, under any conditions.

Yeah, I second that. To compare:

PowerBook 1.5GHz, 128MB VRAM, low-end temp, was 128F, high end was: 148F.

MacBook Pro Core Duo, 2.16, 256MB VRAM: low-end temp is 140F, high-end is reading at 165F.

MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo, 2.33, 256MB VRAM: low-end temp is: 120F, high-end is 150F if I'm really cranking it, but hovers at an average of 130F +/- 5 degrees.

Having both a MBP CD and C2D, the C2D runs significantly cooler.

BTW: these are all averages using Temperature Monitor Lite, which I have running on all 3 machines. I'm not reporting readings from the CoreDuoTemp app, which doesn't report individual sensors, heat sinks, memory, yadda yadda yadda, and just takes one simplified average, that reports (on average) a reading of 5degrees less, than Temp Mon Lite.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. A

Hi,

I have read some posts here about how macbook pro's get too hot and in fact my macbook pro 15 c2d also gets hot so I was deciding if I wanted to try fan control or smc fan control to increase the fan rpm. After an hour of work, it is too hot to be put in lap.

My questions:

1. How many people are using these utilties?

2. Are there any risks to the macbook pro since this is a third party app affecting the built in fan?

3. Could it affect the warranty?

I am little nervous about trying this utility so any advise or your experiences might help me make that decision.

You only need to bump up the idle speed of the fan from 1000 RPM to 1500 or 2000 RPM. The max speed of the fan is 6000 RPM. I doubt it would significantly hurt the life of the fan.

I don't know how you can get an idea of how many people are using this app.

I use it and it works fine for me.