Nintendo Wii

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I've got my Wii and I've played about 3 hours of Zelda today. The Wii Sports bundle is awesome. Zelda is awesome. The controller is a lot of fun and works a lot better than I was expecting.

My single complaint is that it came with composite cables and there aren't any component anywhere, stupid shortages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat

I've got my Wii and I've played about 3 hours of Zelda today. The Wii Sports bundle is awesome. Zelda is awesome. The controller is a lot of fun and works a lot better than I was expecting.

My single complaint is that it came with composite cables and there aren't any component anywhere, stupid shortages.

You can't get component cables? Really? Wow. Do you have extra composites? I've done it before using separate composites to hook up component video.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Can you post some nice pictures from all angles? How responsive is the remote? This is so exciting! I've been waiting to get a Wii for awhile. Sadly I will have to wait until about summer next year, but that's not too terrible.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Nice, out of the 3 new systems, the Wii sounds like the one to get. I my case for the family oriented game base and lower price, and it just looks like more fun to play.

Still going to wait a while though, I tend to regret being an early adopter! \
  • Reply 4 of 39
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The component cables are in short supply, very very sadly.

I will take some pictures, but there are plenty of shots already
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Thanks. I've been looking at some of them. The ones on the official website aren't too helpful. I mostly want to see all the connectors and where the old fashioned controller connects. By the way, how is that Zelda game? It was supposed to come out on my birthday last year but they delayed it over a year. That made me so angry.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    The old controllers connect on the side. There are two detachable doors on the side, one hiding two GC memory card slots and the other hiding 4 GC controller slots. Wavebird receivers fit just fine (that was a concern of mine).

Zelda is Zelda. Fetch quests, easy combat, choppin' up grass, and stuff like that. All the stuff you love, all the stuff that can be repetitive. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10 so far, but I'm only about 1/10th of the way through.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    I didn't get the Zelda game caused it quickly sold out during the mid-night event.

I agree with groverat. The Wii Sports bundled game and remote are fantastic.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

Smash My Wii.

Heh.

More console smashing fun from Toronto: www.smashmyps3.com and www.smashmyxbox.com
  • Reply 10 of 39
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I absolutely dig these. I love how angry the people get. Jesus christ.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I found that footage you sent me of you playing Wii Groverat.

Groverat is boxing.

Knock that guy out man!

Nick
  • Reply 12 of 39
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Has anyone seen the South Park with Cartman waiting for the Wii to come out? This is a fantastic episode!
  • Reply 13 of 39
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Groverat : it's nice to have your opinion. My plan is that Santa Klaus bring a wii console for Christmas to my kids.

The wii do not have the more powerfull hardware, but it seems to have the better playing experience according to a lot of people granted to the great controllers

Enjoys your

(in europe it will release december the 9th)
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Zelda: Twilight Princess is one extremely long game. My "1/3rd finished" estimate was way way off.

It is also really awesome.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat

Zelda: Twilight Princess is one extremely long game. My "1/3rd finished" estimate was way way off.

It is also really awesome.

I read an article a couple weeks ago that said it was a solid 70 hour game.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Ok. I've come up with a legitimate question. The Wii can use either the remote or the old game cube controllers. If an old controller is plugged in, is that the default controller? As in, do you have to unplug the old controllers if you switch to a game that uses the remote?

That's nice to hear about Zelda. I can't wait to play it.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    I've played Zelda for about 4 hours today. So damned fun.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

I'm seriously considering getting a Wii. That's pretty significant. I've never owned a console system in my life, and I was a kid when the Atari 2600 was the "hot thing".

Wish I could find one of them, in Houston. My wife has suddenly decided that she has to have one RIGHT NOW.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    My friend bought one and while I was very enamored with the Wii Sports title there definitely were some control issues with Super Monkey Ball and Madden. I feel like it will be very cool for baseball games but even with Zelda I got annoyed at having to constantly shake my left hand to do a spinny attack.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Your complaint reminds me of Elaine (from Seinfeld) declaring that she was done shaking Snapple bottles.

At first the spinny attack irritated me, but that was before I figured out the lag time on it. Once you time it right (the little "schwink" sound with the tip of the sword flashing), then the actual shake to make it happen is very slight.