Exporting songs from ipod on a different computer?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have had my ipod synched up to my powerbook since I bought it, but the mac fried over the weekend... Is it possible to export the library I currently have on my ipod onto my thinkpad? If I plug it in will it simply erase my entire library?

HELP!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    When you plug your iPod into a new computer, iTunes will prompt you to link the iPod to the iTunes library on the new computer. If you want to save the tunes on the iPod, just select 'no'.

As for how to get your tunes off your iPod, senuTi (http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/) will do this if you want to transfer your files back onto a Mac, but as you seem to want to use a PC, try ephpod (http://www.ephpod.com/). I've never used this last utility, but it is said to work with Windows.

If your iPod is formatted with the Mac HFS+ filesystem, Windows will likely not be able to read your iPod (Windows uses NTFS filesystem). When you plug your iPod into your Windows machine, Windows will either have no problem reading the drive, or it will tell you that it needs to be formatted. If it's the latter, you will have to use a Mac to get your music back.

If ephpod doesn't work, you can always go to "Folder Options" in the "Tools" menu of "My Computer". Choose the "View" tab and select "Show hidden files and folders." Supposing you have your iPod enabled to act as an external drive, browse your iPod files to the locations:

\\iPod_Control\\Music\\F00\\

\\iPod_Control\\Music\\F01\\

\\iPod_Control\\Music\\F02\\

then just copy and paste all of the music files in these three locations. You will lose the filenames by doing this, but all of the metadata (like artist, track name, etc) should be intact when you re-import into iTunes.

When you are finished, I would suggest re-hiding your hidden files, because if you ever delete one of these by accident, Windows is too stupid to simply replace it and the OS will become even more buggy.

Hope this helps you out.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    It shouldn't erase your whole library: at least you'll be warned by an automatic screen, asking if you really want to synch your iPOD with the fried Mac.

Selecting the 'Do not synch' option enables me to pick up tracks I like from other computers