iMac - 500 GB hard drive louder than 250 GB hard drive?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am looking at getting a new iMac. I am considering configuring it with a 500 GB hard drive but I don't want to get it at the expense of making the computer any louder. iMac's are almost silent as it is, I would like to keep it that way. Does any one know if the computer is any louder the 500 GB hard drive configuration?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It's not any louder. My brother has the 250GB and a co-worker has the 500GB and they sound the same. Make sure you need 500GB. Drive checks and recoveries take ages on big drives and if you only use 50GB then there's no point. What I find is that people often see higher specs and assume that it will future proof their machine e.g 2GB Ram over 1GB, 500GB HD vs 250GB, 256MB Vram vs 128. If you're sure you will need it then you have nothing to worry about concerning noise.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for the reply Marvin. I'm already using almost 200 GB on my current system and I'm planning on getting an EyeTV to start recording TV. I figure I should allow for at least 100 to 150 GB for TV recording.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danceclimber

Thanks for the reply Marvin. I'm already using almost 200 GB on my current system and I'm planning on getting an EyeTV to start recording TV. I figure I should allow for at least 100 to 150 GB for TV recording.

Yeah, TV recording will use a lot of space. What I notice a lot is that no matter how big a drive you get, you tend to fill it. We have a 1TB drive at work for video capture and it's full up.