Take the Macworld UK poll.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I saw this poll over at Macworld Uk when reading an article about "Spaces". I found it interesting, and thought more people who might have missed it should get a chance to take part. Give it a go if you like. I was only allowed use 10 poll options, so I left out the satirical option about household robots.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I would have chose multiple options, but for me personally it's going to be Leopard, PS3, and Blue Ray.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Wii is missing.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I want to pick Enviromental Friendly Solutions, but that's more targetted at the US.

And that's also dreaming. It probably won't happen for another 10-15 years.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool

Wii is missing.

I'm getting a Wii next in Jan or Feb, I love that thing. It wasn't in the poll over at MacWorld though.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Vista will doubtless make the biggest impact, in my opinion.

Judging on previous MS OS releases, it'll [hopefully] be a negative impact. Let's see how improved the security is... service pack, anyone?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    i recon blu-ray. 25gb storage on the same size disc as a dvd. and i recon the ps3 will win the console war, which will make blu-ray the winner of the hddvd vs blu-ray war.

i recon vista wont have much effect in the first year. most ppl will want to stay with xp until vista's flaws (which it will undoubtedly have) are cured by a SP.

other than virtual desktops (which you can have now if you want with 3rd party software) and a better apple version of system restore, i dont see much benefit of leopard. so i dont think it will make much of an impact. tiger as it is is probly better than vista, so leopard will just expand an already big gap.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I see Leopard is catching up in the race here. I'm looking forward to it, alot! Anyone who stays on OS 9 after this needs their head examined.

/voted for iTV/.11n myself. Anyone else think (like me) that iTV is a precursor to two things:

1. An Apple branded TV

&

2. Apple IPTV subscription service to replace your cable completely.

Number 2. to me screams ease-of-use. Simple and sleek, one remote, one TV, one computer, game over.

Think about it, If iTV takes off, all these things are possible.

All the pieces fit here. Apple switched to intel, intel are pioneering the low powered, multi-cored chip. Apple is ever the schemer, ever the dreamer. To or three years down the road, Apple computers have become very powerful, and very economical. It comes to a point where you can leave your computer on standby/sleep nearly all the time whilst still being ecological. Apple starts to makes thier own branded TV's, which have iTV built-in. Apple isn't stupid, they know everyone is not going to want to buy an Apple branded TV, so they licence iTV technologies to all other good TV brand names. Sony, Pioneer, Samsung, Panny etc. So now they can put two stickers that matter on thier TV's: HD Ready & iTunes Ready.

You come home from work, it was a long day. You plomp down on your couch and press the play button on your Apple (TV Edition) Remote. Your cool looking, sleek, simple, minimal, powerful, Apple TV comes on "quickly" - setting off a chain reaction that tunrs on your computer, wherever it may be (the computers display stays off), only the necessary parts of your computer that are needed for the deal turn on. Hey-presto you have the biggest collection of media available anywhere in the world at your finger tips. All TV shows, podcasts and videos are free. Movies are music aren't, but that's a given. Movie trailers are free to watch, and as with iTunes music samples are free too. When you watch a trailer, or listen to a song you can choose whether to buy that movie or song there and then without leaving the couch. Broadband is getting much quicker, so the movies are HiDef and watch-able instantly.

Of course, sooner than I expect the computer may be taken out of this equation completely (you could still stream stuff from the computer, but it wouldn't be needed). Now you have a very minimal set-up. You have a table or TV stand, you have a sleek, flat TV on it, you have one tiny remote (one remote, the holy grail), and that's it. If you want to record something, it's beamed to your computer or saved in your TV, how simple.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Yes, I would love to see the day of internet TV made real, and watch all these cable providers shrivle and become ISPs instead. It still has a long way to go, and an advertizement model hasn't been made for internet television. I don't know about an Apple TV there are a lot of manufacturers out there making great low cost Televisions. However I could see if iTV takes off some partnering to offer the Apple components in Televisions made by other companies.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    i dont see the point of iTV. i guess its there for the general public who dont know much about computers. exactly the ppl who will never get a mac due to the price tag.

so i doubt it will be successful with the general public, and mac enthusiasts will just think "why get an inferior iTV when i can get a mac mini and eyetv?"
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chirho

i dont see the point of iTV. i guess its there for the general public who dont know much about computers. exactly the ppl who will never get a mac due to the price tag.

so i doubt it will be successful with the general public, and mac enthusiasts will just think "why get an inferior iTV when i can get a mac mini and eyetv?"

Because the Mac mini doesn't hook up to a TV, and costs over twice as much when you add in the eyetv?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I voted for Leopard because that will make the biggest impact for Mac users in general, plus with all the great hardware encourage more people to join our world.

Also I think multiple forms of wireless internet will have a big impact in many products. We already know about iTV and there's speculation about an iPhone. I'm betting Apple will make it even easier to take your data on the road or on the couch. Wireless iPod, headsets? Who knows?

I want Apple to take something and develop it into the new blockbuster. I think Leopard and Macs will be the blockbuster next year. They're ready to take the world by storm. iTV is neat and so would be a cleverly built phone, but with the need to work with distributers and carriers it's going to be an uphill task.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    ..and Leoprad takes the lead.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chirho

i recon blu-ray. 25gb storage on the same size disc as a dvd. and i recon the ps3 will win the console war, which will make blu-ray the winner of the hddvd vs blu-ray war.

i recon vista wont have much effect in the first year. most ppl will want to stay with xp until vista's flaws (which it will undoubtedly have) are cured by a SP.

other than virtual desktops (which you can have now if you want with 3rd party software) and a better apple version of system restore, i dont see much benefit of leopard. so i dont think it will make much of an impact. tiger as it is is probly better than vista, so leopard will just expand an already big gap.

"Reckon"

From your ever friendly spellchecker. I voted blu-ray too, although none hugely stood at to me as having far more impact than the others.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I had to vote Vista-- the negative impact could be huge.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Smart money's on TPM.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain

I had to vote Vista-- the negative impact could be huge.

I think the poll meant that you vote for innovation.

/by the way iTV is back in the lead.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Yes, thanks. I thought that was clear. I'll be sure to wink next time.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    I know you were joking, but did you actually vote for Vista? More importantly did you waste your vote to follow up on that joke?