Question about Solidworks on MacBook Pro using Bootcamp...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi everybody,

I am a potential switcher to Mac. I have used PCs all my life and I have been considering to buy a MacBook Pro for quite sometime. And now with the release of C2D, I am very close to making my decision. But I have couple of questions regarding some specific technical drawing software I will need to use.

1) I will be using SolidWorks for 3D solid mechanical modelling under Windows via Bootcamp (it has no Mac version). Under a PC its performance heavily relies on the graphic card since it needs very powerful 3D support. Has anyone used SolidWorks on MacBook Pro under Windows? Does anyone have any experience how well it runs on a MacBook Pro and compatibility of the video card that comes with MacBook Pro with Solidworks?

2) What is the minimum partition I can seperate for Windows to dual-boot with Bootcamp?

I will immensely appreciate if you can help me on this issue by sharing your experiences.

Best.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alpine

1) I will be using SolidWorks for 3D solid mechanical modelling under Windows via Bootcamp (it has no Mac version). Under a PC its performance heavily relies on the graphic card since it needs very powerful 3D support. Has anyone used SolidWorks on MacBook Pro under Windows? Does anyone have any experience how well it runs on a MacBook Pro and compatibility of the video card that comes with MacBook Pro with Solidworks?

I haven't used Solidworks but the x1600 GPU in the Macbook Pro is very capable. It can handle pretty high resolution scenes and textures. I'd imagine Solidworks will just used Direct3d or something and that is fully supported. Someone here ran it ok:

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0427035971.htm

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alpine

2) What is the minimum partition I can seperate for Windows to dual-boot with Bootcamp?

5GB but you will likely want to use a bit more than that. If you want to be able to transfer files easily from Mac to Windows, you can use the fat32 format for Windows but that allows a maximum of 32GB. If it's just for Solidworks, I'd say 10GB should do - that should even suffice for when you want to put Half-Life 2 (4.5GB) on it at some point. XP only takes up about 2GB of space.