Nice hidden feature in PS Elements 2.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
[quote]Quoted from the ReadMe file:

Initialization and Preferences Files:

If you have problems launching the program, rebuild your Photoshop Elements preferences file. To reset your preferences, double click the application icon, then immediately hold down Shift-Command-Option, then click "Yes" to rebuild your preferences.<hr></blockquote>

That's a handy little option to have IMNHO. Would something like this be possible to implement from apple's side of things, a la "Force Quit," etc.? Well, maybe I should just send Apple the suggestion anyway and let them figure it out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    why for Apple? Do your prefs get currupt in OSX?

Good tip though.. have switched from Photoshop 7 to PS Elements 2. As much power (for what I need) and much more helpful and gets me more creative seeing all the help it gives (and especially the filter preview pane...)

joy! :-)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I'm with ZO on this. That's a nice tip, but why would Apple need to implement is? Adobe apps use a custom binary file to store it's prefs but Apple (and proper Mac OS X apps) keep prefs in a clean, text-based XML file. I can't imagine how a regular OSX preference file would be damaged unless you tried editing it by hand and messed up the tags somehow.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    JIC -- just in case. I'd say that 80% of application problrems are due to bad prefs in my experience. Having a quick way to delete/rebuild the prefs file is a good way for users to solve most of their problems without needing to borrow into their prefs folder for com.apple.dock.plist and such.