SMTP problems at home BUT NOT ELSEWHERE......help

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi!

Straight off the bat apologies if this has been touched on before but I couldn't find anything in the search. I hope this is the appropriate forum although the problem doesn't seem to be related to a particular application...

This is it:

Basically a couple of weeks ago at home, in Entourage2004 using my company POP account, a mail was in my outbox and in the process of being sent when I temporarily lost my internet connection. Ever since then I?ve haven?t been able to send a mail from this account whilst at home (but from other POP accounts e.g. Gmail, it?s fine). The strange thing is that it works when I'm in the office or even someone else's office or an internet cafe. And up until that occasion everything was working fine.

I can still receive mail on this account at home. And it?s fine sending and receiving using the account online as web mail. But I?m pretty such it?s not just a problem with Entourage as I?ve set up the POP account (and also as IMAP) in Apple?s ?Mail? application too and the same problem occurs ? receiving fine, sending not possible.

I think the company's server is a PC-based Exchange server. Perhaps there's something there that can be reset but everyone else's mail is fine. I have tried switching my router off for a bit too but to no avail.

I suspect it's something to do with the relationship between my home's I.P. address and my company's server?

If anyone has any suggestions that'd be really great, I'm open all ears!

Thanks,

Billy.

P.S. I'm using a G4 powerbook with Tiger 10.4.8.

P.P.S. For the record the Entourage error message is as follows:

--------------

Error:

An operation on the server timed out. The server may be down, overloaded, or there may be too much net traffic.

Explanation:

Mail could not be sent.

Account name: "Billy"

Error: -3259

--------------

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    SMTP problems are generally caused by trying to use an SMTP server outside your ISP's domain. Make sure that you have properly chosen your ISP's SMTP server.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Hey,

Thanks for the response. By ISP do you mean the people I have the broadband with at home or the company i have the mail account with?

I mean I'm pretty sure I'm getting the SMTP address right. And it was working before, nothing has changed.

Or is there something my broadband supplier can do?

Best,

Billy.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Did you actually check your SMTP setting or are you basing your response on the fact that they used to work properly? Please be advised that email clients tend to change settings in response to connection problems. Please check your settings to ensure that they are still correct.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Yes, I checked my SMTP settings and they are as they should be.

Any takers?