Apple and Nike to sell Nike+Amp bracelet for iPods

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer and Nike plan to introduce a new wireless wristband device that will allow runners to interact with their iPods without constantly fiddling with the players' sweat-slicked Click-Wheel.

According to a report in Men'sHealth, the $80 device will act as a wrist-mounted Bluetooth remote and let users browse the songs on their iPod and check running times without that constant fumbling that often ensues while attempting to maintain focus on a run.

The device will sync up with the existing Nike+iPod running system, displaying information on an illuminated LED display "hidden beneath the matte-finish face of the bracelet." Meanwhile, the iPod may remain tucked away in a runner's pocket or armband.

Further features of the device, expected to be released under the name Nike Amp+, are unclear from the report. However, a single included marketing image suggests that gadget may hold potential to deliver one of the most frequently-requested components for the Nike+iPod system: a heart rate monitor.

Since beginning their foray into the wireless iPod accessory market earlier this July, Apple and Nike have sold over 450,000 of the Nike+iPod sport kits. The $30 system includes a wireless Bluetooth mode that inserts under the heel of a Nike+ compatible running shoe and a transceiver that plugs into an iPod nano.

Nike+iPod wristband | Image copyright: Men'sHealth

The Nike+iPod kit gathers data such as distance, calories burned, time and pace. The data is then stored on the iPod and easily uploaded through iTunes to nikeplus.com, a personal service site where runners can track their own progress and challenge other runners.

In recent months, Nike has been working on new functionality for nikeplus.com, such as adding a new 'route finder' to the web software that will let runners easily map and share their favorite running routes.

The shoemaker has also been working to expand its Nike+ enabled footwear line, for which there are now over a dozen different models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    So how long until the Nike iPod?

I say 18 months, if not sooner.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    This is nothing but good news. More incremental sales for both Apple and Nike. Quick analysts, to the analyscanner!
  • Reply 3 of 47
    This made me think of something.

What if instead of a watch with buttons on it, Nike instead made a glove with the buttons on the palm side? The watch still requires you to upset your arm motion and use both arms while running, but a glove would just require you to bend in your fingers to push a button, which is easier.

I guess if you decide to stop and do push-ups or pull-ups though, you're screwed.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    If I weren't crippled and deaf, I'd be all over this!
  • Reply 5 of 47
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bborofka

The watch still requires you to upset your arm motion and use both arms while running, but a glove would just require you to bend in your fingers to push a button, which is easier.

Yeah and special Spidey-webbing ejects out of hidden nozzles too!!
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bborofka

What if instead of a watch with buttons on it, Nike instead made a glove with the buttons on the palm side? The watch still requires you to upset your arm motion and use both arms while running, but a glove would just require you to bend in your fingers to push a button, which is easier.

I guess if you decide to stop and do push-ups or pull-ups though, you're screwed.

As a runner, I hate anything that can distract me. The shuffle is just enough. I would not want to wear a mini while exercising...too big and too much visual information. A glove would be a very bad idea. Even a watch can be a pain sometimes.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    This seems pretty cool but it's more expensive than the current kit!
  • Reply 8 of 47
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    this doesn't look right to me. especially with the shuffle G1 bubble where the play/pause button is, that was dropped with the G2, I don't see it coming back (and i miss it, it had a nice 'feel' to it). it also doesn't seem designed very nike or apple. and what bluetooth dongle do you have to attach to your ipod that already has a nike+ dongle on it? Or do you toss out your old nike+ and just use the shoe part? I cry bogus!!
  • Reply 9 of 47
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

If I weren't crippled and deaf, I'd be all over this!

Hmm wonder how fit the average mac user is.

• Reply 10 of 47
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    I wonder if this little dodacky will allow me to sync up my Bluetooth stereo headset with the nike bluetooth adaptor and hence my iPod. Cool if it does.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

I really need to look into buying a Nano+Nike kit. I could use another Hobby and it would give me an excuse to buy an iPod (I never really needed one before you ask) Nano.

Recommended reading.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

As a runner, I hate anything that can distract me. The shuffle is just enough. I would not want to wear a mini while exercising...too big and too much visual information. A glove would be a very bad idea. Even a watch can be a pain sometimes.

A glove wouldn't be that too bad actually. I doubt that a glove will appear but nevertheless I see it as a good idea. As a year round runner, a lot of us (guys and girls) wear gloves during winter sessions. Its amazing how cold your hand can get.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Apple should team up with other sports companies too. I'm a swimmer, not a runner - I want an iPod in my Speedos
  • Reply 15 of 47
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i want an ipod bike add-on. like the running one but with a sensor on the bike for tracking distance, altitude etc. i cycle rather than run and that would make a big difference...
  • Reply 16 of 47
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I guess the question is: Will there soon be new iPods with Bluetooth? Or will they continue with the bluetooth add on? As I understand it the Nike+ running thing already is bluetooth.

Quote:

The $30 system includes a wireless Bluetooth mode that inserts under the heel of a Nike+ compatible running shoe and a transceiver that plugs into an iPod nano.

• Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by othello

i want an ipod bike add-on. like the running one but with a sensor on the bike for tracking distance, altitude etc. i cycle rather than run and that would make a big difference...

Ditto. I'd be all over the iPod nano if such an add-on came out.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    I am going to cry bogus on this one also. So, when the Nike+ came out, Apple was very specific in sayin gthe connection between the dondle and the Nano was NOT bluetooth, and that it was a proprietary wireless connection. Why would they all of a sudden say it was a bluetooth device? I cry bogus, I think the image we are seeing is some clever photoshoping, a previous design idea, or someone's dream ad (ie. iPhone spec commercial on google video). We'll just have to see..
  • Reply 19 of 47
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheExile

Apple was very specific in sayin gthe connection between the dondle and the Nano was NOT bluetooth, and that it was a proprietary wireless connection.

They were? Must have missed that. Do you have a link?
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

They were? Must have missed that. Do you have a link?

It uses a proprietary 802.11-based method.