panic/unable to find driver... ACPI

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So my friend's new macbook is experiencing problems. on startup, it pops up to a weird startup screen with a bit of code also, with the advice to restart the computer. hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button. take a look at it and see what you can come up with. i googled the 'unable to find...ACPI' part and found something with norton antivirus, but i didn't find a solution.

---------------------------------------------------

Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

Debugger called: <panic>

(alot of weird stuff and codes in the form of 0xb973___: and some other stuff

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 8.6.2:Thu Apr 13 2006

------------------------------------

so thats what comes up when i try to start a rather new macbook. its the only thing that comes up after the startup screen with the spinning dashed circle thing. we can't find any other screen, and have only been able to get to some other screen by holding down the 'c' key with the install disc inserted. don't want to reformat but i wanted to see if you had any ideas. thanks all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Don't reformat, first try archive and install.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    What you are experiencing is a kernel panic. These are usually the sign of hardware problems or corrupted software.

Do you have any third-party RAM in the computer?

Do you have any USB or FireWire devices attached to the computer?

Have you installed any third-party software recently, especially anything with drivers such as multi-button mice?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hiro, i don't know how to get to the point where i can even begin to start looking for the option to archive. can you walk me through that, my only option being those that come up when i hold 'c' while restarting with the install disc.

also, no, no, and maybe to the preceding questions. i'll have to check on the third party software, and my fear is that its some form of antivirus, probably norton. i'll post something tomorrow morning (keeping in mind i live in italy). thanks for the help and attention.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcarl013

i'll have to check on the third party software, and my fear is that its some form of antivirus, probably norton.

So you do actually have Norton installed? Unfortunately, all commercial anti-virus software sucks horribly; it's amazing that they can get away with it. Try ClamXav instead.