Apple to ship 300,000 MacBooks this month - paper

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer's new Core 2 Duo MacBooks are selling like popsicles on a hot summer day, with orders for the month of November likely to reach 300,000 units.

According to the Chinese-language Commercial Times, Apple's build orders the 13-inch notebooks to Taiwanese manufacturing partner Asustek Computer are expected to rebound to 300,000 units this month.

Overall, Asustek's notebook shipments for the month -- including its own brand of systems -- are expected to reach 700,000, the Times said.

The paper added that the manufacturer's shipments dropped to 450,000-500,000 units in October, missing an original target of of 600,000 units because Apple was in the process of upgrading its MacBook line to faster Intel processors.

By shipping similar quantities of MacBooks in December, it's almost assured that Apple will handily eclipse the 1 million milestone for notebook shipments during its current quarter after sales of its professional MacBook Pro systems are factored into the mix.

In August, AppleInsider cited insiders as saying the Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker was tracking for shipments of 1 million notebooks systems during its December quarter.

The latest MacBook tallies also suggest the Street's current forecast for total Mac unit shipments during the quarter could once again prove to be conservative.

On average, analysts have been modeling Apple to sell between 1.6 million and 1.8 million during the three-month period ending December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Soon you can add uno mas from macrr on that number!
  • Reply 2 of 86
    wow, it's much much better than zune. 8) of course.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archurban

wow, it's much much better than zune. 8) of course.

yeah but they don't come in brown !
  • Reply 4 of 86
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    The Zune is brown!!!11! Like poo!!!1!
  • Reply 5 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iconsumer

yeah but they don't come in brown !

Apple to introduce new brown MacBooks...
  • Reply 6 of 86
    I just wish Apple would put a better GPU in the MacBook. That would get me to order one.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault

I just wish Apple would put a better GPU in the MacBook. That would get me to order one.

So that means you're ordering one next year, right?

/I'm gonna wait till mid-end 2007 to join the Book world.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

The Zune is brown!!!11! Like poo!!!1!

Some jokes just get better each time you hear them!!

8) 8) 8)
  • Reply 9 of 86
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:

If they put a better GPU in the MacBook, the MacBook Pro would become almost pointless. It's not going to happen. Sure, they might put a *SLIGHTLY* better GPU in the MacBook over time, but if you want to do anything graphics-heavy, you're going to want a MacBook Pro, and that won't change.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz

If they put a better GPU in the MacBook, the MacBook Pro would become almost pointless. It's not going to happen. Sure, they might put a *SLIGHTLY* better GPU in the MacBook over time, but if you want to do anything graphics-heavy, you're going to want a MacBook Pro, and that won't change.

I guess "consumers" don't play games on their MacBooks. Gaming must be something only "professionals" with MacBook Pros do.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

You're wrong, only a matter of time before the MacBook gets a real GPU. The Pro book will just get a better one, and up to 4GB of RAM, 4MB L2/L3 cache, bigger screen, Pro styling, and faster proc. etc.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    mines 3 days old now.....i love it.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

I guess "consumers" don't play games on their MacBooks. Gaming must be something only "professionals" with MacBook Pros do.

The unfortunate thing about that is that a good gaming gpu can obviously do pro apps as well, so it works out to become a werid situation.

I believe that integrated gpus are here to stay in the mbs but integrated gpu tech will just get better, hopefuly to point of being pretty good to play the average game.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    that's 300,002 both of mine come tomorrow as per tracking and i will be

WINDBLOZ FREE AT LAST
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

The unfortunate thing about that is that a good gaming gpu can obviously do pro apps as well, so it works out to become a werid situation.

I believe that integrated gpus are here to stay in the mbs but integrated gpu tech will just get better, hopefuly to point of being pretty good to play the average game.

Yea, but why can't Apple build me exactly what I want??? Maybe I want a "pro" GPU, but I prefer 13 inch design over the 15 inch, I also prefer the plastic case over the metal Pro cases, etc. Come on Apple! Give us some fricken build-to-order options! I'll take the white Macbook, add a real GPU, and I'll pay you the extra $$$ for it. What's so hard about that?
  • Reply 16 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER

that's 300,002 both of mine come tomorrow as per tracking and i will be

WINDBLOZ FREE AT LAST

But you can run WINBLOZ if you want
  • Reply 17 of 86
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Yea, but why can't Apple build me exactly what I want??? Maybe I want a "pro" GPU, but I prefer 13 inch design over the 15 inch, I also prefer the plastic case over the metal Pro cases, etc. Come on Apple! Give us some fricken build-to-order options! I'll take the white Macbook, add a real GPU, and I'll pay you the extra $$$ for it. What's so hard about that?

I agree. Its pretty silly that they don't offer that. \

Its not like Apple's going to browbeat me into getting a $900 more expensive MacBook Pro just to get the better GPU. Uncharacteristically lame that they'd even want to try.

While I'm sure there's a lot of cute marketing and inventory reasons we can spout as to why Apple is being inflexible here, fact is more and more people are giving the Mac a look-see, and if what they find on the other side of the fence is inflexibility and sky-high pricing for what they really want, they'll just shrug and go back to the Evil Empire. That's just the way of it.

We're doing well but we could be doing better, if you know what I mean.

• Reply 18 of 86
    Quote:

There's no way Apple can satisfy every possible custom desire - the products and SKUs they have chosen provide a simple understandable choice, and is enough for the vast majority of comsumers. They are not going to build a model in between the MacBook and MacBook Pro, and they are not going to offer technically unfeasible BTO option in the MacBook (e.g. serperate GPU card vs inegrated GPU). Your desire is valid, but it looks like you will have to make a choice between what they have.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

You're wrong, only a matter of time before the MacBook gets a real GPU. The Pro book will just get a better one, and up to 4GB of RAM, 4MB L2/L3 cache, bigger screen, Pro styling, and faster proc. etc.

Is this speculation or do you have a source? IMO, the MacBook GPU will always be integrated. I reckon they'll probably upgrade it to the (integrated) GMA3000 next, which is actually a lot better than the 950.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Your desire is valid, but it looks like you will have to make a choice between what they have.

Or go to the PC side, which is offering more flexibility here, sadly.