Copy Mac iTunes library to PC iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

I have a Mac at home and a PC at work (unfortunately). My iTunes on my Mac holds all my songs which is synced with the iPod. I brought the iPod to work so I can copy my songs from the iPod to the work PC but it didn't work. It says that it needs to initialize the iPod since it hasn't been used withis computer before which I assume would wipe off anything that is on the iPod. How do I transfer my music from my Mac to the PC?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    you can't sync your ipod because you can only sync to one type of computer (ie mac only or pc only).

what you can do is use your ipod as an external hard drive, upload all your songs from your mac to your ipod, then move it onto your pc. that'll probably be the best way. the only downside is that you will have to remake all your playlists on your pc.

i suggest you use firewire for your ipod when transfering from your mac because mac doesn't utilize usb 2.0 to it's full potential.

there are also software out there that you can download. i haven't tried them out but i found copypod (www.copypod.net)

hope that helped.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks for the tips...I'll give it a shot. The last time I tried that approach it tried to initialize my iPod when I connected it to the PC. I'll try it again with the iPod as a hard drive. I'll look into the software too. Thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    forget I said that, try Google.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Here's what I typically do when I move music from iTunes amongst different computers:

On your mac, look in the 'My Music' folder and open the the iTunes Music folder. The enclosed folders/files should include all of your iTunes library. I burn all of this to as many DVDs as it takes. This is my back up.

Then on whatever computer I want to move music to, I insert the DVD and choose 'Add to library' from within iTunes.

Work well enough and I have a hard media back up of the ripped files.

As for playlist....you can export the xml information and then just re-add the information to the library.