Zune grabs No. 2 spot at retail during first week

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
An initial surge in demand has given fans of Microsoft's Zune something to cheer about, as the player captured the No. 2 spot for all digital media player sales at retail during its first week on the market.

According to NPD Group’s weekly point-of-sale data for the week ending November 18, the iPod rival secured a nine percent unit share, representing 13 percent of the dollars spent in the U.S. portable digital player market.

Zune was bested only by Apple Computer's iPod, which retained its dominant share during the week by grabbing 63 percent unit share and 72.5 percent dollar share.

"Microsoft attracted early adopters in*a successful launch week for Zune, eking out Sandisk as the No. 2 digital audio player vendor," said Ross Rubin, NPD's director of industry analysis. "This was especially impressive given the Zune's single capacity configuration and relatively high price point."

NPD says its weekly POS data is culled from a selective set of retailers that are part of its monthly panel, meaning it does not take into effect digital media player sales at Apple's own retail stores, among others.

It should also be noted that sell-through figures compiled during a product's initial week on the market are not necessarily indicative of that product's overall share, and are often influenced by pent-up demand.

Still, NPD's data could represent the potential for Zune's long term share gains. The group's findings eerily resemble a similar retail survey conducted by PiperJaffray, which found that retail clerks were recommending Zune to customers 8 percent of the time compared to the iPod at 75 percent of the time.

However, PiperJaffray in its polls also found that some retail salespeople were completely oblivious to the Microsoft player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    NPD says its weekly POS data is culled from a selective set of retailers that are part of its monthly panel, meaning it does not take into effect digital media player sales at Apple's own retail stores, among others.

Based on the above statement, the report is purely garbage.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    Zune is now ranked 64th in Electronics at Amazon.com

This is up from 76th about 2 days ago.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes

I feek that Amazon's sales listings are much more indicitve of the populous than a "selective set of retailers."
  • Reply 4 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Microsoft's Zune captured the No. 2 spot

but doesn't the brown stuff ALWAYS have our number 2 spot captured ??

"mummy mummy i have to go to the toilet, number 2 "

• Reply 5 of 83
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    This survey, like all of these analyst surveys are total BS. The good analysts hold their cards close and don't care about other interests.

The fact that they excluded Apple Retail from sales calculations is just silly. I'll bet half of all iPod sales are from Apple's own retail stores.

Competition from Zune will benefit the consumer, but not if it is totally made up.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    As someone who worked in the motion picture industry*, I remember that with a sufficient advertising blitz, any movie could post impressive opening week receipts. The true quality was measured by how it did in the second and third weeks and beyond. Movies that did well in the following weeks were said "to have legs" and benefited from the positive word-of-mouth that the early viewers passed on.

Given the buzz that the Zune has generated (or, more likely, that MicroShaft bought), it is off to a real slow start. Since iPods haven't changed in a few months, it should have been able to surpass at least a few iPod models during the opening debut.

Soon we will see that the Zune doesn't have legs, and it will be the Bob of the 2000's.

*I took tickets at my local cinema. That's still "in the business", dammit!
  • Reply 7 of 83
    i still dont like microsoft entering this realm. they can gain serious ground with the 360 pushing the zune forward. i still believe apple should have cut some deal to put the ipod and itunes on the 360 when they were asked.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes

Right now, the black Zune fell back to 67, behind all models of the iPod. Neither the brown nor the white made the top 100.

The interesting thing to note is that in top 66, there are two TURNTABLES! TURNTABLES, for shit's sake, TURNTABLES!! Not one, but two are more popular than the "hottest" Zune!
  • Reply 9 of 83
    If you want to know how the Zune is doing, read some customer reviews on amazon about it. Half the ones I read, people had such problems they were bringing it back and exchanging it for an iPod. 50/150 reviews rated it as a 1/5 star. I couldn't help but laugh at peoples' experiences. What made it worse was that some were ipod users looking for a hot new product, which in turn backfired.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iconsumer

but doesn't the brown stuff ALWAYS have our number 2 spot captured ??

"mummy mummy i have to go to the toilet, number 2 "

The Zune is brown!!!1! Like poo!!11
  • Reply 11 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

I feek that Amazon's sales listings are much more indicitve of the populous than a "selective set of retailers."

If they were, Apple would enjoy a 60% marketshare for its computers.

As it doesn't, Amazons sales prove only that people shopping at Amazon buy in those percentages.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

The Zune is brown!!!1! Like poo!!11

You still on that?\
  • Reply 13 of 83
    I thought this was Appleinsider, not SELL-OUT ZUNEsider... enough of the ZUNE comments. NOBODY CARES, particularly me... the statistics are pointless... the Zune is worthless... stop wasting web space talking about the zune.

• Reply 14 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi

I thought this was Appleinsider, not SELL-OUT ZUNEsider... enough of the ZUNE comments. NOBODY CARES, particularly me... the statistics are pointless... the Zune is worthless... stop wasting web space talking about the zune.

We do care, and we're interested.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    hehe I bought 11 of them at various places. Mostly Wal-Mart and Best Buy around my home town.

I would buy one, rip open the package, return it and move on to the next store.

Your welcome MS for my returns so you can refurb them
  • Reply 16 of 83
    Zune Sucks.

Apple Wins.

Next Thread.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

It would br nice to see what retailers are on the "Monthly Panel" and to see which ones that were among the others that were excluded.

The more I think about this, the more I get the feeling it's part of a marketing campaign. Without full disclosure, what's to stop NPD from taking the top 10 Zune performing retailers and making that the panel.

Yep without full disclosure of the retailers that were included, and the ones excluded, then this is just pure conjecture and BS!
  • Reply 18 of 83
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi

I've heard Apple Store employees talking about the Zune for crying out loud. If it's happening there, I'd say it's perfectly fine here - you do have to be knowledgeable about the competition regardless of how insignificant you want to think it is. Else your ass will get bitten sooner or later.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    This isn't news. It's a new product what else is there to expect? Wanna hear more ground breaking news? Last week ps3s and nintendo wiis sold out but strangely the xbox 360 did not...
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh

hehe I bought 11 of them at various places. Mostly Wal-Mart and Best Buy around my home town.

I would buy one, rip open the package, return it and move on to the next store.

Your welcome MS for my returns so you can refurb them

so your the one who propelled the Zune to 2nd place