Best Macbook Pro / External Drive for Parallels / Bootcamp

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been drooling over the Sata Expresscard 34 cards for the Macbook Pro but went limp when I realized that you can't boot from them, which is a dead monkey shame.

I do a lot of development under Parallels (windows server 2003/visual studio .net 2005) and its absolutely fantastic. I love my OS X but business needs require .net development, it's what makes it possible for me to buy Macs and eat steak.

Now that BootCamp supports external drives, I'd really love a bootable external drive that is fast, reliable, small (size), and quiet. Of course 100gb + would be great. I'd install windows natively on it and use it instead of Parallels, or maybe do both.

I'd like:

bus powered (hate extra cables)

Firewire 400 or 800 (+link to 800 expresscard would be nice)

On / Off switch would be nice (but probably not gonna get)

Fanless or super quiet (hate noise)

Compact (fit in a small briefcase with Macbook)

Large fast drive.

No stupid colors, bug eyed martian lights or glow in the friggin dark. This is a business model, please! Sleek and upscale. P

Price is not a problem, its a write off.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Not cheap, but I really like Wiebetech enclosures.

The 2.5" models are simple and quiet, have firewire 400 and 800, are bus powered, have shock protection and come with cables and an AC adapter in case of underpowered firewire bus.

They also make a pretty nice 3.5 eSATA model that comes bundled with an eSata express card.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

INow that BootCamp supports external drives

It doesn't support external drives. It's XP that's the problem, not Bootcamp. In order to get it to work, you have to do this procedure:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Boot_Cam...External_Drive

With the new announcement that Parallels will support Bootcamp partitions, I think i will make a 10GB partition for Windows and then I can have my games and things for dual booting but use the same data for Parallels and I can delete my 3.5GB drive image. Parallels using a partition makes more sense to me because it's far easier to free up space and share files from Mac to PC if you use fat32.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It doesn't support external drives. It's XP that's the problem, not Bootcamp. In order to get it to work, you have to do this procedure:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Boot_Cam...External_Drive

With the new announcement that Parallels will support Bootcamp partitions, I think i will make a 10GB partition for Windows and then I can have my games and things for dual booting but use the same data for Parallels and I can delete my 3.5GB drive image. Parallels using a partition makes more sense to me because it's far easier to free up space and share files from Mac to PC if you use fat32.

well, i don't agree so much on that, since backing up an image is easier than ghosting/backing up a drive partition...

thanks for all the suggestions previous.

i got a macconnection.com catalog today, on the front page it had exactly what i need:

http://www.macconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=7109615