Complete System Restore

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Alrighty guys someone messed with my Mac and many of the files that I had, while not very important, merely ones I liked, have been deleted. Since I was thinking about doing a system restore anyways, I figured this would be a perfect opportunity. But I do have some questions.

Is it as easy as poping in the disk(s) that came with my iMac, and selecting something like System Restore, or do I have to hold down a key or button while booting. Pretty much I'm asking how do I initiate the restore.

Also I have many files that I would like to transfer over (music, photos, convos, work documents and the like). Would it work to simply burn it all to disks and transfer it over when I'm done?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I would suggest using the "Archive and Install" feature to reinstall Mac OS X. Installs a fresh version of the operating system while preserving your files and data.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Archive and install will be fine, but if you need the complete feeling of OS X freshness, burn your files to disk or external hard drive and do a complete reinstall of OS X. You'll have to redo all of your settings and start fresh. Sometimes, that's a nice option because it forces a (sloppyish) person like me to reorganize and think things through more carefully.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Hmmm while archive and install did at first seem like the best option, I think it would be nice to reorganize. I didn't quite get the organization right the first time, and I hope to do so this time around. I just hope my 1000 some songs don't take up too many disks lol. Is it possible to rip music from on iPod to a computer, because all my music is on my iPod. I suppose it would be illegal, but, come on, it isn't like I don't own all of that music anyways lol.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry I couldn't get back earlier...it was like 1 am when I posted this thread for me lol.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    well right now i'm closing the first "Restore" cd that has all my music on it. Then I have a relatively small one and then I'll go ahead and do the system restore...anyone want to find out if I see any performance increase? Also before I do it I'm going to do an XBench and that will be the first thing I DL when it is done, and I'll do another XBench test then to see if there is any performance hit after a year.

If anyone wants to try and dissuade me, make it quick!