White Balance - eMac 1 GHz (ATI Graphics)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 2003 model eMac (ATI Graphics) 1GHz. The white balance seems to be off quite a bit.

I know there are settings in System Preferences - Display and a calibration utility. These don't offer a solution for what my problem is.

Lets say you goto the www.apple.ca website and you see the Black and White MacBooks displayed back to back. The white one will barely show up on my 17" eMac CRT. I see the darker parts but the very light gray areas are whited out almost completely. Also, anytime I'm viewing light shades of colors, especially grays, just like with the apple.ca white MacBook image, it's whited out. If I am viewing photos, anything black with subtle details are blacked out and the same goes white very light colors, they are whited out instead of light shades of those colors. Watching movies or editing photos is rather difficult in this situation.

Could anyone offer me a proper solution for this? I'm sure alot of you are thinking "why doesn't get trash that eMac and get himself a REAL Mac like an iMac 2.13GHz 20" LCD or a MacBook Pro 2.16GHz". I have this computer and that is what I have to work with for a MAC. The rest of my computers are PCs and they've no problems viewing these sorts of images. Even my iBook 500MHz 12" LCD works great for white/dark balance. I can remote desktop control into my eMac from the iBook and the white balance is fine on the LCD of the laptop, but on the CRT of the eMac, it's whited or blacked out.

I hope someone has a solution and it's not just that the eMac CRTs suck or somthing.

Andrew