A new UI scheme

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Who here would like to see new scheme for the Apple UI? We have brushed, aqua/white, light platinum and dark platinum. I'd personally like to see something actually glossy (think of a titlebar that "reflects" the color of whatever is in front of it, like a drop-down menu or mouse dragged file). I would go for a glossy platinum or

a bright green+red shiny look (xmas is getting to me )

so post whatever you guys think would be a good idea for a new UI theme. there is just one rule: it cannot be brown. because zune is brown and that would just be retarded on OS X. WTF was m$ thinking, anyway?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    meh, give me something more productive, interesting and useful than the point click drag metaphor. bleh. its time to move on, my click finger is ill after clicking since 1984.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

meh, give me something more productive, interesting and useful than the point click drag metaphor. bleh. its time to move on, my click finger is ill after clicking since 1984.

i'll second that. when will we get to the brilliance of thought-reading computers?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French

i'll second that. when will we get to the brilliance of thought-reading computers?

When you invent it.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Well HP Plans to rip the iMac off and stick a Touch Screen on it... so maybe Apple will beat them to it
  • Reply 5 of 18
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Well HP Plans to rip the iMac off and stick a Touch Screen on it... so maybe Apple will beat them to it

what's the point? not everyone needs a touchscreen and if you do:

http://www.trolltouch.com/pages/products/imac.html
  • Reply 6 of 18
    A touch screen is not a bad idea. My kid tends to point to the screen for her education software as it is more natural than using the mouse.

The ToySight game had some nice ideas, maybe it could be improved upon to use visual gestures instead of a touch screen since all the new machines have iSight built-in. You could have the option of enabling or disabling it.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101

A touch screen is not a bad idea. My kid tends to point to the screen for her education software as it is more natural than using the mouse.

The ToySight game had some nice ideas, maybe it could be improved upon to use visual gestures instead of a touch screen since all the new machines have iSight built-in. You could have the option of enabling or disabling it.

Touch screens are awesome when you don't value the time spent cleaning the screen. And what *is* time anyways? Nothin'.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Who here would like to see new scheme for the Apple UI? We have brushed, aqua/white, light platinum and dark platinum. I'd personally like to see something actually glossy (think of a titlebar that "reflects" the color of whatever is in front of it, like a drop-down menu or mouse dragged file). I would go for a glossy platinum or

so post whatever you guys think would be a good idea for a new UI theme. there is just one rule: it cannot be brown. because zune is brown and that would just be retarded on OS X. WTF was m$ thinking, anyway?

YES! It is time for OS X to get a totally new UI. The current one looks like a fisher price toy compared to not only Windows Vista but also Windows XP! Come on, Apple! Put some real development into a new, integrated, intuitive, polished, unified, bug-free, smooth GUI for OS X!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I think the new UI *SHOULD* be brown. I mean, brown is much more professional than the candy theme we have now.

Brown, ftw!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Ok, ok...more seriously, I want some new UI input method.

Something not unlike the Wii remote combined with a way to recognize gestures at the OS-level. Screw the remote Apple provides...I want something that could be used as a pointing device so you can use the computer (the whole experience, not just Front Row) from 10 feet away...and use gestures to, say, quit an app or send a file to the trash.

Make it happen Apple.

edit: looks like hours after my post some japanese developer managed to get his Wii remote working on his Mac. Awesome.

Resolution independence + Wii as a wand to control the cursor and gesture-support for complex actions = bliss
  • Reply 11 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Who here would like to see new scheme for the Apple UI? We have brushed, aqua/white, light platinum and dark platinum. I'd personally like to see something actually glossy (think of a titlebar that "reflects" the color of whatever is in front of it, like a drop-down menu or mouse dragged file).

Right here's 2 things I think are absolutely without a doubt coming to the Leopard UI.

1. The blacks will replace the blues, as in iTunes 7.

2. The scrollbars in iTunes 7 will be part of the system wide UI theme change too.

I used Shapeshifter Theme "7" for a bit, and the blue/gray scrollbars worked like a charm, much nicer/duller/sleeker/more professional looking/more sexy/newer/different/more useable/and better.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Here is the most insanely great touchscreen technology EVER:

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=23071
  • Reply 13 of 18
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite

Here is the most insanely great touchscreen technology EVER:

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=23071

That was very impressive. The intuitive nature of the multipoint touchscreen device is very Apple-esque IMO.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Yeah, I thought it was Apple-esque too. The two-finger zoom/resize was very cool. Of course, it wouldn't be very good for the existing Mac OS; this screen is designed for a ZUI. A zooming Apple OS. Now there is an interesting idea... Mockups, anyone?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Now that is what I want. 2 Finger Scrolling right now is good, but that is even better
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Woah! Reflective- that's such a cool idea. I never thought of it, but seriously, I can just picture a black glass interface with just a hint of transparency, which reflects everything done in front of it. It would either look really cool, or be really distracting, depending on how it was done.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Resolution independence + Wii as a wand to control the cursor and gesture-support for complex actions = bliss

OK, I've thought about this, and when you get down to it, using a Wii-wand or something as your control scheme makes you take your hand(s) off the keyboard and get them up by your face. It greatly increases the amount of effort involved, since I have to pick something up, move it a foot in the area, and then manipulate it (with button on it, waving, gestures, etc), and then put it down. Sure, that sounds like only 1-2 extra seconds, but multiply that by a hundred reaches for your mouse in an hour and you're spending a lot of time.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

OK, I've thought about this, and when you get down to it, using a Wii-wand or something as your control scheme makes you take your hand(s) off the keyboard and get them up by your face. It greatly increases the amount of effort involved, since I have to pick something up, move it a foot in the area, and then manipulate it (with button on it, waving, gestures, etc), and then put it down. Sure, that sounds like only 1-2 extra seconds, but multiply that by a hundred reaches for your mouse in an hour and you're spending a lot of time.

Come on...I'm not saying that this type of usage will replace the regular type of computer usage where you actually sit down in front of a keyboard and mouse...use your head.