HD video capture card for macbook pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
just wondering if anyone knows of a good HD capable video capture card for my macbook pro (preferably expresscard) that would be able to capture HD video from a component (or alternatively VGA) source. What I'm trying to do with it is to use the screen of my macbook pro as a monitor for an xbox 360. Has anyone else tried something like this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    It is not an expresscard, but check out the products on Elgato. They have cool hardware and excellent software to run it. Most of it is USB though, but the devices are getting pretty small.

EDIT: Yea, I know it doesn't do HD. I read the question wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    yeah, that's definitely a possibility. I was hoping for one with a hi-def component input, but i'm not sure if that even exists.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bendhoward

yeah, that's definitely a possibility. I was hoping for one with a hi-def component input, but i'm not sure if that even exists.

I would definitely go with the Elgato. Elgato supports high definition recording/encoding. I don't think you will find something with a component input. Also keep in mind that HDMI port is the most technologically advanced digital port that is widely used; that being said, you probably wont find any TV tuner with that connection either.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    HD component recording is in the $1,000 range; are you still interested?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby

It is not an expresscard, but check out the products on Elgato. They have cool hardware and excellent software to run it. Most of it is USB though, but the devices are getting pretty small.

That would only be HD over the air. It won't capture HD that's not transmitted by a TV station.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

I would definitely go with the Elgato. Elgato supports high definition recording/encoding.

There aren't any Elgato products that encode HD video. There aren't any existing Elgato products that would be useful, they don't make pro products. Your best bet is a company that makes pro products, such as AJA or Black Magic Design.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Yea, the Elgato product doesn't record component video. That would cost a lot. It does have very low latency so it is good to capture screenshots from.

I must have totally spaced in answering this question. I thought he asked something totally different.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

That would only be HD over the air. It won't capture HD that's not transmitted by a TV station.

There aren't any Elgato products that encode HD video. There aren't any existing Elgato products that would be useful, they don't make pro products. Your best bet is a company that makes pro products, such as AJA or Black Magic Design.

The Elegato EyeTV 250 supports component and s-video

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...7c89da58f7b4e0
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

The Elegato EyeTV 250 supports component and s-video

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...7c89da58f7b4e0

I am aware of that product, it is not HD. The 250 has composite and S-video. Neither are HD inputs. Even if it had component input, it doesn't matter because component input does not imply the ability to capture component HD. They would have said so clearly on that page if it did, but it's not there.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I am aware of that product, it is not HD. The 250 has composite and S-video. Neither are HD inputs. Even if it had component input, it doesn't matter because component input does not imply the ability to capture component HD. They would have said so clearly on that page if it did, but it's not there.

You missed my point. I was not referring to HD, I was referring to the authors original post, that they wished to have something that used component ports. Regardless. component cables DO support HD throughput, it is just the Elgato that might not; I don't know.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    I think you missed his post too. The 250 does not have component ports, but does have composite ports. Those are not HD.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

You missed my point. I was not referring to HD, I was referring to the authors original post, that they wished to have something that used component ports. Regardless. component cables DO support HD throughput, it is just the Elgato that might not; I don't know.

I don't know where you are getting these ideas.

Already covered twice, but 250 does not have component input. You confused component and composite. 250 has composite.

The first poster wanted HD recording. The 250 is not an HD capture device. All you need to do is take a look at their short list of supported resolutions. Elgato does not offer an HD component capture device.

Component does not always mean HD. It shouldn't even be assumed. If the product page does not specifically say HD, then it probably is not.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    i went to have a look at blackmagic, AJA and another SDI card maker after first seeing this thread and was disappointed no one (so far) offers a solution to component HD capture via express card slot for the MBP (aside from a $1k box that can hold a standard HD SDI card). but this would be cool when it comes out:

http://www.vydeo.com/products/EC34.html

sennen
  • Reply 13 of 25
    thanks everybody, it looks like what i'm looking for is sort of non-existant. It would be great if apple would build some type of video input into their computers (other than firewire of course). I don't even need to capture the input. I just need to view it. In an age of people using their laptops and desktops as their media centers it would make sense to me for them to be used as monitors, completely independently of the operating system so that they could be used with game systems and things of that sort.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

thanks everybody, it looks like what i'm looking for is sort of non-existant. It would be great if apple would build some type of video input into their computers (other than firewire of course). I don't even need to capture the input. I just need to view it. In an age of people using their laptops and desktops as their media centers it would make sense to me for them to be used as monitors, completely independently of the operating system so that they could be used with game systems and things of that sort.

It would be nice, it is somewhat odd for a company that tries to promote its strengths in media handling. For consumer video input, the eyeTV hybrid is a fine alternative, it's just that the A/V input is standard definition only, and occasionally flaky such that I have to reopen the window a couple times to make it work.

An EC/34 card with pro video I/O is a little ways off, given that the standard has been available to the public for nearly a year, I do think it's odd that one hasn't been made yet.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    I just want to use my Cinema Display to play my 360, and/or watch TV and get rid of the one in my room. I got a 23" display and a tiny ass TV in front of me bed, it looks like a joke.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta

I just want to use my Cinema Display to play my 360, and/or watch TV and get rid of the one in my room. I got a 23" display and a tiny ass TV in front of me bed, it looks like a joke.

Yeah, I'm forseeing a similar problem with my small college dorm room.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta

Not sure about the 360, but watching (and recording) TV on you Mac is exactly what EyeTV allows you to do.

Here's a shot of my cinema display just a few minutes ago watching City of God on IFC and browsing the web.

I've got an old EyeTV 200 for my DirecTV and a EyeTV 500 for watching over-the-air HD.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Which HD format do you want to capture?

NO, none of Elgato's products are what this person is looking for. Not all HD is the same, EyeTV deals with ATSC encoded HD signals. Not video production codecs.

HDV through firewire 400 will work fine.

720P through fireWire 800 can be imported just fine.

I've heard mixed results from importing 1080i through firewire 800. Probably not the best solution.

Don't even bother attempting to import 1080P through anything but Dual HD-SDI.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I was under the impression that HDV was a 1080i or 720p format encoded using mpeg-2. Why would there be a problem importing this through firewire 400. Consumer HD camcorders do it.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

I was under the impression that HDV was a 1080i or 720p format encoded using mpeg-2. Why would there be a problem importing this through firewire 400. Consumer HD camcorders do it.

What you originally asked for was component input. In order to capture component through Firewire 400 like that, you would need a converter / encoder box. That is a piece of pro-level gear. In order to work seamlessly with a Mac's video software, it would have to convert to the HDV protocol. There is no consumer HD camcorders that can convert analog component to HDV, at least that I am aware of, some of them don't even convert analog standard definition video to DV. Another issue is that HDV (and I think AVDHD too) is long GOP, in short, that means you will have a half second lag, that is not something that you want if you are only wanting to play games.