iMac G3 350

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice....

I've put an old imac g3 350 (rev2 i think) in my garage and need some advice on what operating system to stick on it. It came with ubuntu linux and 64mb of ram. I upgraded the ram to 256mb and stuck os9 on there, the thing is it was still pretty slow. I just put 512mb of ram in there and it seems to have got a bit faster, i'm just wondering if it will run tiger?

The machine is only used for viewing websites, itunes and viewing workshop manuals in pdf so nothing too heavy....

I want a modern browser (not icab) so the question now is, stick tiger on there or get the latest version of ubuntu linux.

Ideas please.

Oh another thing, i've got tiger on DVD, fully paid for, i'm just wondering if there is anyway to install this on a non dvd machine?

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Tiger will run....just not as well as OS9, as far as snappiness/ speed. (but it will be stable, ie: protected memory etc..) As far as installing it, your gonna need an external dvd drive to get it on there. No cd versions are available of the new OS AFAIK. 10.3 was the last OS to be put on CD. If you can put more ram into it, do! A gig would be the best, but that model may not be able to support it. However, 512 is decent given what you are going to be doing with it.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I'd put Linux on it. The thing about the newer OS X systems is that they are pretty at the expense of performance. They will run on those older machines and I have done it myself but it's not a very good experience. Some people say different but it all depends on what is acceptable to you. The Linux interface is just much snappier because it isn't doing much and you don't need it to.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I think i'm going to go with xUbuntu linux, i'd love osx, but like you say, all the pretty stuff is really going to tax the system more than it needs to be. (I love osx by the way).

The pdf's i'm going to be working with are quite large in size so the less resources the os uses the better....