iTunes Store features I would like to see...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
1- Real movie tickets.

I could use Front Row to select a movie trailer, see the preview and synopsis and buy tickets online to my preferred movie theater.

2- Live Performance Tickets.

Same thing with live band perfomances. just select the artist, view the upcoming gigs, buy the tickets anf have it posted on iCal automatically.

3- Live TV streaming of selected networks.

I want to watch and pre schedule live tv occurences, like soccer games and F1 races. have iCal store the dates and have Front Row automatically stream these LIVE.

4- Apple Lossless encoding on music files. I don't care about the size, I just want LOSSLESS music.

Actually this should be number 1.

Please, Apple, Pleaseeee....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy

1- Real movie tickets.

I could use Front Row to select a movie trailer, see the preview and synopsis and buy tickets online to my preferred movie theater.

2- Live Performance Tickets.

Same thing with live band perfomances. just select the artist, view the upcoming gigs, buy the tickets anf have it posted on iCal automatically.

3- Live TV streaming of selected networks.

I want to watch and pre schedule live tv occurences, like soccer games and F1 races. have iCal store the dates and have Front Row automatically stream these LIVE.

4- Apple Lossless encoding on music files. I don't care about the size, I just want LOSSLESS music.

Please, Apple, Pleaseeee....

All of these are really good ideas

Number 1 and Number 2 might actually come within the next year or 2.

3 is feasible but Apple probably wouldn't do it... and no Network in their right minds (Money Grubbing Idiot Minds) would allow it without you paying a Cable/Sattelited Provider and like I said, I doubt Apple would do it.

As for number 4, I could definitly see it but only if you are willing to pay a buck extra for it. I know I would, any CDs I end up ripping end up in Apple Lossless.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

All of these are really good ideas

Number 1 and Number 2 might actually come within the next year or 2.

3 is feasible but Apple probably wouldn't do it... and no Network in their right minds (Money Grubbing Idiot Minds) would allow it without you paying a Cable/Sattelited Provider and like I said, I doubt Apple would do it.

As for number 4, I could definitly see it but only if you are willing to pay a buck extra for it. I know I would, any CDs I end up ripping end up in Apple Lossless.

Yeah, the intermediate players are doomed in this scenario.

I just think Front Row/ iTunes integration of these features would be nice.

Right now, you see a movie trailer in Front Row, and if you don't/can't download you have to surf the web , find the theater, buy the tickets , etc...

As for 4, Apple really needs this IMHO. iTunes is much more than iPod now, it is really the repository for all CDs. I don't need more empty CD jewel boxs.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy

If the music labels have anything to say about --and I think they still do -- they'll never allow Apple to do this. Bypassing Apple's DRM is pretty easy right now with a small amount of effort -- burn the music to CD, and then rip the CD back. But there's a price to be paid not only in extra effort, but in either sound quality, file size, or both.

If you don't want to lose sound quality, you'll have to re-rip to Apple Lossless -- big, big files that still don't sound any better than 128 kbps AAC. Or you re-rip back to 128 kbps, keep the same file size, but suffer significant loss of sound quality from two generations' worth of low-bit rate AAC compression. Or you choose some middle ground, like re-ripping to 192 kbps -- getting a somewhat larger file with only a little loss of sound quality.

If Apple were to sell lossless, you could burn and re-rip those tracks and have a perfect high-quality DRM-free tracks when you were done, every bit as good as what you originally purchased... even better, in fact, with no DRM in the way.

I'd settle for a 192 kbps option as a decent improvement the record label probably wouldn't fight.

I wonder how much of Apple's catalog is stored at 128 kbps, and can't be improved without going back to the copyright holders for new higher-res files, and how much is stored losslessly, ready for easy re-release at higher bit rates?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I see your point, and I agree with the Labels issue with such a solution.

However, DRM does not have to be an issue for them.In fact, it could be an advantage.

Solution. Imagine Apple does sell Lossless Music but with different DRM rules. This is feasible.

Example: Lossless FairPlay encoded music with the restriction that, when burned to disc, iTunes would automatically re-encode to 128 AAC PRIOR to burning.

This way, the burned CD would still be less quality than the physical CD, BUT iTunes would still retain the full quality music. Everyone would be happy, especially the Labels that would have an intermediate product, say 2.99 USD per song and still have CD sales with full unprotected encoding.

Apple, are you listening ? Time to tweak with FairPlay a bit ...